Dog Schidt Optiks FF58 + GH4 + V-Log

Zak Forsman

Rented a DSO FF58 today because I'm thinking of buying at least one. More if i can afford it. This one is pretty close to the specs I'd choose. 2x oval aperture, ultra-low contrast. It really makes shooting fun.

Shot this off the roof at the office today. Don't have a step up ring so I handheld a Hoya ProND 200 in front of it. This is also shot in V-Log, captured externally in 10 bit. But I still see the magenta/cyan macro blocking issue. I think I'm done with V-Log. Probably going back to the Natural profile.

ISO 400, v709 LUT + Impulz Kodak 50 (FPE) + some curve adjustments + Grain from FilmConvert

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The lens' bokeh is amazing, it looks like a real anamorphic lens!
I also like very much the framing and the color correction.

I'm with you: the long awaited V-Log is a little bit disappointing... super noisy and not as natural as I could hope. I have not the possibility to record externally, but in 8 bit is something really disappointing. I was hoping to achieve the BMPCC look with this V.Log, but it is very far from it. And my BMPCC is so unfriendly to use... I love the GH4 easiness... 

Anyway I have better results with Cinelike D, but I made some live music shot with both GH4 and G6 and, in order to match them, I used the "natural" profile and I had very... natural shoots. 

How do you set "natural" and how do you color it?

Thank you very much,
Simo :)