Great Joy 1.33 Anamorphic Adapter

Tim Sewell

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, Tim Sewell said:

Picked this up second hand at a good price as my introduction to anamorphics. Here's some tests shot last night.

Nice images!

The have a softness to the rendering that is quite filmic and very pleasing.  I was wondering how much was the adapter, how much was done in post etc, then I saw that you were also using a Takumar, so that would be contributing strongly to the look too I would imagine.

I'm not a huge fan of the anamorphic streaks (except in sci-fi or action films) but one thing I really like about anamorphics is the lack of artificial sharpness and the fact that the bokeh is oval-shaped it creates additional separation in a way that circular bokeh doesn't - I find it subtly contributes to the sense that cinema is in a world that is like our world but isn't quite the same.

2 hours ago, Tim Sewell said:

Thanks for watching! I've wanted to get into anamorphic right from the get-go for precisely the reasons you mention. One thing I like about this adapter is that the flares are pretty subtle.

I did notice the flares - they were there but not overpowering..  I'd imagine for many who are interested in the flares in-particular that this might be an interesting option to use in situations where more typical anamorphics would flare too heavily.