Lenses to go with Sigma ART

Oliver Daniel

​I really wish the 18-35 was 17-35. But there is always the array of 17-55 lenses (Canon, Sigma, Tamron). They're pretty sharp and clinical.

I'm having a hard time buying clinical lenses. I need soul and character. The work I need them for has no soul or character. 

Trouble is... I'm going to be using a Sony A7S, but these lenses also need to go on Super35. Balancing the two is a little tricky. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

17mm is usually my ideal focal length on APS-C and 24mm on FF. Just love the look of truly epic wide compositions, especially for band shoots! 

​Then why do you need wider than the sigma 18-35mm? It does produce very wide epic shots on APS-C. 

​Then why do you need wider than the sigma 18-35mm? It does produce very wide epic shots on APS-C. 

The kind of work I need it for needs super-wide angles. Not essential, but bloody useful!

I've decided on the Sigmas for now anyway.

For artistic stuff, I love the look of the "wide angle close up". For instance, the SLR magic 12mm on MFT gives a spellbinding look as you can focus so close to the object and have this wide angle shallow DOF. Know of any nice lenses on full frame like this? 

Maybe I had a bad one. It was a hideous piece of glass. I'll try again. Is there any difference with the cine version (besides gears etc)? It's rather pricey!

Nikon 14-24mm not an option after doing some research. 

17mm is usually my ideal focal length on APS-C and 24mm on FF. Just love the look of truly epic wide compositions, especially for band shoots! 

​Try a Canon 17mm f4 L TS-E if you can for shooting bands.      This and the 24 3.5 ii L TS-E are my favourite lenses.      I mainly use them for stills but for video I just put them on a tripod (or table) on my A7s, plug in a Zoom H1 turn them on and let it run for a song.     I do prefer the 24 as there is a bit of distortion of faces at the edges with the 17.    Both are very nice lenses used normally and I often just shift them a fraction too.

EDIT    Both are large and heavy and expensive though.    My 17 was used in great condition and came with a Cokin X-pro filter holder and polariser but I never bother with it.

The kind of work I need it for needs super-wide angles. Not essential, but bloody useful!

I've decided on the Sigmas for now anyway.

For artistic stuff, I love the look of the "wide angle close up". For instance, the SLR magic 12mm on MFT gives a spellbinding look as you can focus so close to the object and have this wide angle shallow DOF. Know of any nice lenses on full frame like this? 

​Sigma 24 1.4? Voigtlander 21 1.8?