I need help to understand better the Tescam DR 60d MKII. and Tescam Vs. Zoom H6.

Dan Wake

Hello guys, can you help me to understand better this feature about the Tescam DR60dMKII please? 

There should be an option to have a backup file recorded at minus decibel to prevent clipping. On Tescam wesite they wrote: DUAL MONO and DUAL STEREO mode:Records a back-up safety track in case levels are set too high and clipping occurs. The safety track can be set to record from -6dB to -12dB below the initial take. If an actor suddenly screams a line, you have a backup recording that isn’t distorted.

source: http://tascam.com/product/dr-60dmkii/

Does this feature works also with phantom power mics (for example rode ntg3)? thx so much. :)

edit. 

I ask this because for example my Zoom H6 does not have this safe rec option for external phantom power mics. Zoom H6 have this option only with the module EXH6 (sold separately). the problem is this. surprice: the module EXH6 does not allow phantom power.... So this recorder is useless if you use a phantom power mic with actors that can scream (so in my case is useless and I must sell my Zoom H6 and buy the tescam, if the safe rec works with phantom power).

http://www.amazon.it/EXH-6-Doppio-ingresso-Combo-Zoom/dp/B00TB297WU/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1426670829&sr=8-10&keywords=zoom+h6

I'm really in worry with Zoom, I also wrote to the company (an email) they said it's like I said: I can not have a backup rec to minus db with this device if I use a phantom power mic also with the EXH6 module. I wish to do not sell my Zoom H6 but unfortunatelly I have not enough money for both (zoom and tescam). I asked them for a firmware update they said:

To enable them, it is necessary to load more expensive CPU onto the unit. Anyway your opinion has been noted. Although we do not want a price boost by the increase in functions, we will forward your email to the development team for future reference.

If you want to take audio for cinema or theatre/any actor performance, and you want to use a phantom power professional mic, do not buy Zoom H6. Unless you can ask to your actors to be quiet.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

ok probably I was wrong

Over Magic Lantern forum a guy suggest me this technique: http://www.dslrfilmnoob.com/2012/03/06/safe-xlr-cable-phantom-power-field-recorder/

Unfortunately when I asked to Zoom Company how to solve the this "safe rec backup" problem with phantom power mics they didn't suggest to me any technique.

Do you have experience with Y cables? does it introduce unwanted noise? thx

Works fine for me and is very useful.

I have the original, not the MKII - you really need to do some tests with the unit - my meters are very conservative, and if I set levels at what seems proper, I have pretty weak tracks. The self-noise of the 60D is fine, but I'd really like a beefy waveform. Set it to really hit the peaks and use the minus-6 backups.

The limiter is very natural sounding - I use it all the time. It's not a total brickwall, but it helps.

One of those Anker USB phone batteries will power the DR-60 for hours or days. The the 60D is very picky about internal batteries and will report "dead battery" for batteries with a lot of juice left, esp. with rechargeables. Any USB power source (like a little phone charging brick) will power it via USB if necessary when you're in the studio.

One final tip - just do the quick format for cards - the full format, myself and many people give up after ten minutes or so and disconnect power.

Can't speak for the zoom. The DR60D can be odd with AA rechargeable batteries - I think if you have one that's starting to get weak, the 60D detects it and starts throwing warnings. Seems picky about rechargeables. But with a USB battery (the kind to make your phone run longer, by Anker, etc, $20-$30 - it'll run about 24 hours. So that's all I use now).

The 60D has phantom power and will "handle" any professional mic signal. I feel the meters are too conservative - you would want to do some tests, record some test audio and look at the waveforms in an editor - it doesn't have tons of gain to spare but is fine for anyone that knows gain staging and mic placement. I find the limiter and low-cut to be very well done and I just leave 'em on now. I shot an Emmylou Harris solo show and used it for the board feed, I turned off the limiter and low-cut for that. Final mix really came out nice.

• 4 weeks later...

ok guys, definetly I can not raccomend zoom H6 for cinema because it does not give a safety track for phantom power mics. if actors screams you can not have a professional audio. I do not racommend to use the limiter because it compress the voice and it seem a kazoo or a megaphone, it's not professional.

they sell the expansion unit ehx-6 that give safety track but it does not work with phantom power mics, it's all a very big bad advertising marketing trap. do not fall in it like me.

... I bought a Y cable to find out a solution to this problem but I failed the experiment it half (and more) the volume. so there is no way to solve the problem. I must find another recorder.