Audio on GH4 and NX1

bluesmusic

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Guys, seriously, read and re-read jcs's posts, he is bang on with this stuff!

JCS - I'm currently trying to decide between the SD Pre2 and the RME Babyface - have you ever used the latter? I've heard plenty of people talk about it being as good as, with better software and drivers, but that kind of flashy marketing campaign always makes me suspicious. That being said, the Pre2 I've been using is driving me nuts with it's quirks but it's too much on an investment if it can't match for me.

SleepyWill- what issues are you having with the Pre2? PC or Mac? IIRC, the issues were on the PC (ASIO driver); it's been a while since using it with a computer (vs. studio camera preamp. It can also work well in the field with a USB battery).

For PC/Mac recording the Scarlet 2i2 is a very good deal: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005OZE9SA/ for $150. It used to have an occasional driver issue after coming out of sleep, haven't seen it in a while after MS updates (I didn't change the drivers).

I had the RME Fireface 800. Incredibly stable drivers- had zero issues. TotalMix etc. is way too complicated- always had to spend time figuring out routing if I hadn't used it to record in a while. I had purchased the Scarlett 2i2 for a friend to use for VO. I tested it first and found it sounded better than the FF800! For desktop work 2 channels is plenty, so I sold the FF800 and replaced it with a Scarlett 2i2.

Sound Devices preamps and limiters are stellar- if you want the best sound and to also be able to handle surprises in peak volume with no worries, SD gear is worth it. That said, for VO/desktop recording, Focusrite Scarlett series is good enough and a great value. To get 'better' sound than either of these preamps, you've got to spend a lot more, and by better it's not so much less noise but different character. Spend time on Gearslutz for tons of info. Grace makes excellent clean mic preamps. Here's a poll: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/673657-whats-your-favorite-clean-preamp.html

With audio there's tons of esoteric gear that each owner swears by. Most of the gear colors sound. I used to think- record pristine and tweak/color in post with filters. Now I appreciate colored sound for efficiency- similar to getting the look you want in camera. The main place to color the sound is with the mic. Ribbon mics for example sound incredibly smooth with a bass emphasis (need a clean 60dB capable mic preamp (Scarlet and Pre2 work)).

• 1 year later...

hey guys,

the topic got my attention since i am looking to upgrade my sound from NX1. I am not even close to professional so makes no sense to spend lots of money and get a heavier rig for the camera with external expensive audio recorder. What i am looking for is more like getting rid of the wind soundish sound for the shorts that i am into as a hooby. Do you have a recommandation for a shotgun like mic that can make a difference from the internal mic of nx1? i was looking to this one :https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1191314-REG/rode_videomic_pro_with_lyre.html/prm/alsVwDt