Another speedbooster question

64mulford

Hi everyone,

I have a GH4 with a bunch of native lenses. I have the 12-35mm but after something a bit faster and maybe a bit more range. One lens that stands out is the Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS. Doing the speedbooster math it works out to be a magical thing on the GH4 I think. Yes, I know, not as good as the sigma, but this has IS, which absolutely vital for me. It is EF-S though and having never used a speedboster I cant find any info or examples of this lens being used with GH4. I have heard it can be modified to work? Maybe you guys know of some other IS lenses similar to this?

Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The Canon 17-55 2.8 Ef-S doesn''t appear to be compatible with any speedboosters out there. Metabones says it won't work on their active EF booster. I also could not mount it on my RJ speedbooster because of that rubber ring protruding from the rear lens glass. It's s shame because it's a really nice lens haha. I was thinking of trying macro tubes in between the lens and speedbooster. That should give it some clearance. But it might not focus properly at that point. 

Edit: 
Andrew talks about this is one of his articles: http://www.eoshd.com/2014/06/metabones-speed-booster-canon-ef-micro-four-thirds-mount-blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera-edition/

"It does not work with EF-S lenses like the 17-55mm F2.8. These stick out too much at the back and leave no room for the Speed Booster."

Just found this video modifying one for BMPCC. Anyone tried this with GH4?

Goodness me.  the number of almost catastrophic slips this guy has due to poor manual dexterity and inappropriate tools is worrying. if attempting something like this I suggest using a shorter screwdriver and always keeping a thumb or forefinger over the tip of the screwdriver to stop it slipping.   also a couple of layers of masking tape on the rear optic for protection cant be a bad thing.