Sony SCL-Z18X140 and Sony PMW-F3 dilemma

basil_555

Hello,

I was offered Sony SCL-Z18X140 lens for $1000 which I plan to use with my Sony PMW-F3. Do you think it’s a good deal? Another question is… Should I sell my PMW-F3? Is it a good match to modern cameras like FX30 in terms of color science? SCL-Z18X140 was my dream lens, but now I’m beginning to doubt if its worth keeping the camera itself.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@basil_555Awesome😂 You are the og poster of original Cinealta F3 thread. Congratulations on the kewlest camera thread in the universe!:) Erik Naso has done a nice test with the lens i think on the site hdwarrior iirc. On the positive side, mechanics, modern image, range, lens stabi. But you might already know that from your own testing.

If you like the results with your setup, keep filming. I have an F3 and havent filmed other than some tests with it but i will keep it. Love its output. If you want a similar quality and you do ENG or minidocs etc, the tiny FS5 might cut it. Or the classic hit cam, the FS7. Plus a F4 18 to 110mm lens. Which has half the range but two times the price of your lens.

F3 with external recording still smokes a FX30 for cinema image quality imho. Just like a Varicam smokes a S1H.

11 hours ago, basil_555 said:

SCL-Z18X140 was my dream lens

Was/is "one of" my dream lenses. As I'd love to have used it with my Sony PMW-F3 for general doco / R&G / event coverage. 

And compared to what it originally cost, then $1Kis "cheap"(ish). 

But.... the only other cameras you can use it on is the F5/F55. 

Nothing. Else. 

And there will never be another camera you can use it on. The F55 is the end of the road, there will never ever be a better camera you could put that lens on. Ever. 

In the medium term this lens is going to trend down in value to a big fat ZERO

So I'd look at this way:

Are you a working professional? Will you have at least 20 working days over the next few years (whatever the working lifespan is of your FZ Mount camera) where you'll get at least $50 of benefit from using this lens? (be it due to working faster/effeciently, or just a more painless day for you, or due to charging a higher rate, or however you define "value) Using 20days times $50 = $1K as the math here, but you could structure it differently, say 50days x $20, or 10days x $100

If you can make the math here work for you, then buy it. 

Otherwise, don't. 

1 hour ago, Al Dolega said:

Is there even a way to adapt it to E mount?

No.

I bought the lens. The manual describes a procedure of flange focal length adjustment. Do I really need to perform it? I thought that all such lenses were calibrated at a factory. Another question is does the flange focal length adjustment matter if I’m using the lens in AF mode? Thanks!