image.png.5b55d0164f142a145c4722138641642c.png

Cameras, which are used by normal tourists use to take photos

image.png.5a419f1a7ce1d93716e355791e73717c.png

and phones, which are used by adults to take photos of the family:

image.png.2b36c542ce1e4f7938512f258ff0675e.png

or by millennials when they're awake and have left the house:

image.png.2096b2202d060cc5e5884b87f7d77313.png

There is another type of camera though.  

When you take any camera and point it at yourself in public, you instantly turn into a narcissist and the size of the camera no longer fits into the above categories, but is an indicator of how much better you are than everyone else:

image.png.eacf874e430d4f053a3c3e161335e83f.png

the selfie girl is pretty though, lol. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 hours ago, MrSMW said:

I suspect that is it and it makes a lot of sense why you might be asked what tools you might bring to the party for a filming gig whereas nobody asks, or just assumes (that you have suitable tools) for photo work.

At least I have never been asked in 23 years.

Yup, there are a lot of projects in both video and photography where if you have the references and/or body of work then they will assume you're capable of doing the job. Without needing any extra specifics beyond that. 

And while this true for both, I'd say this is more often true for photography than filmmaking. 

btw, this true for being a Sound Mixer too. Nobody gives a sh*t what's in my mixing bag, they just care about if you can do the job (easy! No problem for me) and if I'm a likable fellow to be around (ha, working on that... I'm a bit of an introvert)

5 hours ago, kye said:

Hidden camera footage of how people react to a small lens being used...  the judgement is real.

fun video! (and boy... he's really gotten older! I remember when he was just a kid, has been a while since I watched his videos)

Was quite easy for me to immediately spot which lens was the "cheap" one. (I've got the same lens myself!) But it certainly highlights how much more difficult it is for "normal people" (and note... they're not even "normal people"! They're people in the film industry as well, just not in the Camera Dept. So they're still likely far more attuned to spotting differences in an image than truly average "normal people")

56 minutes ago, kye said:

I'm pretty sure there are only 4 types of cameras:

😆 😅 🤣😆😂

To be fair, I think people who have a hefty amount of exposure to cameras (maybe has done a one year diploma in filmmaking, or has worked as a background actor, or their brother is a photographer/videographer) can vaguely tell the difference between the top and bottom of each category. 

Canon T4i with a kit lenses vs Nikon D6 with a f2.8 zoom 

Or, a fairly barebones Pocket 4K rig vs a fully rigged up ALEXA

2 hours ago, zlfan said:

I have personal experience confirming this. Once I shot a famous local scene site using 5d3 ml raw plus a b4 cine lens with a matt box. A group of travelers were very impressed and one of them said "such an impressive big camera". Notice them mentioned camera not lens not matt box.  

I think for most people when they say "camera" they mean the entire rig. My IFB receiver I slap onto the camera rig is to them part of "the camera". 

34 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Canon T4i with a kit lenses vs Nikon D6 with a f2.8 zoom 

Or, a fairly barebones Pocket 4K rig vs a fully rigged up ALEXA

Sure - bigger is better.  Easy.

The real test would be how they evaluated a large, complicated looking, but crap setup vs a small one that had a much better image.  Also, in this imaginary test, you can't pick something old looking vs something that looks much more modern, as that's another giveaway.

Size is so correlated with image quality that it's difficult to think of counter-examples.  Even the big but really old cinema / ENG cameras are either still actually really good (and 1080p), or they are horrifically dated and wouldn't fool many (old betamax cameras for example).

I'm not saying there are no counter examples, but they're a very very small percentage of the possible comparisons.

Also, people pretty much know that the longer the lens the more zoomed in it is.