Nice use of jello and warp errors as effects

jgharding

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I think to the average viewer it would look cool, but to me I feel like pulling my hair out!

Exactly!

I can't stand how cheap the entire video looks.

However, I may not see it or actually like it, if I didn't know what the effect is! 

JG, I agree, works well with that video, especially since the song's theme is "Psychic Trauma".

Otherwise I'm usually pretty allergic to warp artefacts. I found the overall visual style fitting to the lo-fi indie rock sound, which I guess is a compliment considering I grew up listening to indie/alt rock.

I've found a lot of artistic cinema folks try to break conventions and are eager to push and pull their images in new interesting ways.  If a "limitation" of the technology allows them to do it, so be it.  

Meanwhile, others seem like they'd rather have an electron microscope individually analyzing every CMOS chip pixels -----and would prefer everything be as pristine and perfect as possible.  

I guess it's up to every individual to consider which option is more rewarding to them personally.

But...for a layperson viewer of all the random videos out there these days, I think I know which one matters more.

I like it, but it feels like they may be relying a little too much on the one idea.

On the showing mistakes topic though, I was lucky to catch some of Bruce Conner's films recently here in Los Angeles. He used to intentionally scratch, perforate or otherwise violate the surface of the film, as in "Three Screen Ray" which used some of his earlier 1961 work. IMO he's the father of music videos and a very certain style of motion graphics. But mainly exploring the idea that all the stuff that would normally be cut out, or deemed undesirable, was interesting visually. 

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a video I made for my band using a similar concept. It's not supposed to be a fully-fledged music video (we're doing one next year for our album), but more of a simple way to add some visuals to our sounds. I've always been a fan of embracing the flaws of technology and I lean towards a style that I call 'polished lo-fi'

http://youtu.be/BEvThkYzpyE