Converting 60p A7S to 24p slow motion

jcs

A reminder to check the shutter speed before shooting 60p to use a 24p slow motion. I had just shot 60fps VFR mode GH4 (sets the shutter automatically) and when shooting with the A7S in 60p I forgot to change the shutter to 1/60 (or faster) and left the shutter at 1/50th. The re-interpreted 24p was not smooth, and even pixel interpolation couldn't fix it. Remember to set the shutter to 1/60th or higher when shooting 60p for 24p slow motion.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Of course the shutter speed should at least equal the fps as you pointed out and the rule of thumb is to set the shutter speed to double the frame rate, so 1/120s shutter speed when shooting 60fps for example. However in my experience using an even faster shutter speed usually gives nicer results because it gets rid of the motion blur, which can look great when shooting slow motion stuff. 

I had just shot 60fps VFR mode GH4 (sets the shutter automatically) 

Do you still have the option to set the shutter when shooting slow mo stuff on the GH4? So is there an automatic shutter speed mode that you can turn off, or do you have no control over the shutter speed whatsoever when shooting in VFR? 

A reminder to check the shutter speed before shooting 60p to use a 24p slow motion. I had just shot 60fps VFR mode GH4 (sets the shutter automatically) and when shooting with the A7S in 60p I forgot to change the shutter to 1/60 (or faster) and left the shutter at 1/50th. The re-interpreted 24p was not smooth, and even pixel interpolation couldn't fix it. Remember to set the shutter to 1/60th or higher when shooting 60p for 24p slow motion.

How could you shoot 60p at 1/50th? That should be physically impossible...

Yeah you'd think they'd prevent it, but they don't.

What I mean is whatever the camera says, you cannot  record 60 frames per second with a shutter speed of 1/50th. There is nothing to "prevent", no failsafe needed, it simply is impossible. Maybe the mistake is that the on-screen info says 60p 1/50th, but be sure the camera is not recording that way -just as if the in-camera calendar told you it is June 32nd you'd know the date ain't right!-

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

What do you mean, jcs?

Are saying that you've shot 60p slowmotion with 360 degree shutter (1/60), and found the footage defective, thus advising to shoot at higher or closer to 180 degree?

If so yes good advice, I found that with slow motion the higher the shutter speed, the better the end result looks. I would even go beyond 1/2000s if I have enough light!