GH4 buying advise & focal-lenght confusion!

BenniM

Hey all, 

i would love to geht my fingers on the GH4, but before i need some help from this community :)

hopefully you guy´s can answer my questions :)

i´ve made a comparision table for a better overview... hopefully everything is correct! if not, please correct me... so i can make better decisions on my future GH4-Setup

many thanks for your comments :)

post-34981-0-66986700-1404566255_thumb.p

post-34981-0-66986700-1404566255_thumb.p

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Your calculations are correct :) But keep in mind that when considering the DOF, you must also multiply the aperture. So whilst 85mm f1.4 Zeiss will gain a stop of light gathering (to f1.0), the DOF will be more like an f2.0.

This is why I personally sold the 12-35mm f2.8. Because the DOF was more like f5.6, which is not shallow enough for me. I don't use shallow DOF all that often, but I like to have the option of it.

This again. Ok folks, repeat after me:

Focal length is focal length. It does not matter what frame it covers.

FoV equivalent is taking the lens's focal length and multiplying by whatever modifiers are present. In the case of a speed booster on m4/3, it's 0.7, followed by 2.0, for a total factor of 1.4.

EDIT: Oh, and if you're shooting in 4K, don't forget that extra crop. It's 2.3, right? So 0.7 x 2.3 = 1.61

This again. Ok folks, repeat after me:

Focal length is focal length. It does not matter what frame it covers.

FoV equivalent is taking the lens's focal length and multiplying by whatever modifiers are present. In the case of a speed booster on m4/3, it's 0.7, followed by 2.0, for a total factor of 1.4.

You're just being pedantic. Everyone knows that it's only the FoV that really changes, but it's easier to talk about in terms of 35mm focal length.

You're just being pedantic. Everyone knows that it's only the FoV that really changes, but it's easier to talk about in terms of 35mm focal length.

And that's why the confusion reigns - people do things like start converting to 35mm equivalent, then add the factors in (which gives the wrong numbers).

@fuzzynormal

you wrote, that if i go with the f2.8 lens´s i will get a "typical" f5.6 DoF... but if i want more DoF i have to go with the manual-lens setup and can lower the aperture to my needs...

@all

for me, it´s also important to cover the focal-lenght from wide-angle to tele... to be prepared for the most common situations... i also will shot (i guess) at the moment more run&gun rather than beauty shots. 

for me it´s really hard to decide, what´s good for me and what is not! iam really new to all of this.

first i thought i go with the 3 standard Lumix lens´s, until i read the GH4 shooting guide... and at this point i got worried...

i mean, it sound really amazing to get lens´s with an aperture f1.0, f1.2 and f2.0 ....and i can cover a good range.

i know, if have to make my own decision... but you guy´s may point me in a direction :)

thanks

...yes my english could be better to explain my PoV ;)

hey Inazuma :)

would be great if the "metabones speedbooster EF mount" come out soon.... so just need the GH4 and the speedbooster... 

... maybe i have to wait until that!

or read enough to get things clear :)