Atomos setup guide for the Panasonic GH4 and 10bit external recording

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Though the Shogun has not yet been released you can still obtain one of the best HD signals available on the market from the GH4's HDMI port. This is 10bit 4:2:2 and oversampled internally from 4K, a bit like on the Sony FS700 but for only $1699. The video above shows how to setup the camera for recording 10bit 1080p onto the Atomos Blade.

In the next few days I should receive my Atomos Ninja which is a tiny low-profile recorder with no screen, for when you want to use the screen on the camera but benefit from the higher image quality of 10bit 4:2:2. Check EOSHD soon for a review of that.Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Can I in theory buy a ninja blade and use that to record the 10bit output?

Also I have some old atmos ninja's and samurai's (first models), do you think I would be able to record the 10bit output from the GH4 onto them?

I'd rather a ninja star though for the small size and cheap price, for what I'll be using it for I won't need the 2nd bigger screen.

Didn't see anything about 1080p/50-60, just 720p/50-60.

I am hoping Andrew does an A/B test, so we can see what can be gained by using the Ninja.  Tests on other cameras I've seen online, the difference between internal and external is very subtle.

Michael

Are the Atomos products really the only solution for external recording?  What about the BMD Hyperdeck Shuttle 2?  Perhaps a bit of a hassle as a part of a run and gun rig, but much cheaper than the blade or the star.  I'm hoping the HS2 will work for those low to no budget people like myself.  ; )   

Hi Andrew,

Look very interesting. Im' interested in the ninja star or shogun.

Just to understand : are you sure it downscale from 4k so it's like 7q on fs700 ? so we obtain a downscale hd image better than the original hd image ?

The ninja star do that too ?

Thanks