Change from BMPCC to…?

Turboguard

So I went from a T2i to a 5DM2 to a BMPCC. 

After been using it for several different shoots now since September last year I've been noticing that I'm not producing as much great stuff as I did with my 5DM2.

The main problem I run into is how extremely shaky the camera is due to the smaller sensor and I can't afford a 4k stabilizer/gyro rig. 

I love the possibilities of great CC and CG using RAW but this is not a camera I can use for small quick jobs. It's just too time consuming getting the image just right!

Therefor, I'm thinking about giving up on the BMPCC and maybe moving back to DSLR (I do miss shooting stills as well!). But I've been living under a rock the past year and have NO clue what's out there so after some quick research I've come across the new GH4 BUT that is a m43 sensor as well, and I think that is my enemy when it comes to a lot of handheld shooting.

I am not super savvy with technology, I just like to shoot pretty images and therefor am reaching out to you guys now. 

I am def looking for something in the price range below 2000 USD (for body).

A sensor where I wouldn't have to rely on post stabilizing TOO MUCH (I don't mind a little shake here and there that I could clean up quickly myself).

As little aliasing and moire as possible.

Would be nice to be able to shoot 1080p 60fps.

Flat image style preset(?) for easier post CC/CG.

Hmm, yeah, that's what I can think of now… 

I just don't think I'm cut out for the BMPCC and everything it demands from me as a shooter to get a nice image, sadly.

Am extremely grateful for ANY tips and recommendation.

Thank you!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You wrote "m43 sensor as well", but the BMPCC has a S16 sensor, in a way the worst of both worlds, neither fish nor fowl.

Imo it's not too hard to rig the BMPCC to get rid of the shakes, but anyway, a m34 sensor (like that of the GH4) is a good compromise.

The obvious solution if you want the best quality for a budget would be the 5D M3 with MLraw, but that is even less a camera 'for a quick job' then.

There is no allrounder that is easy to handle, produces images that survive serious grading and shoots great stills as well. 

At equivalent FOVs, sensor size has nothing to do with how steady/shaky your footage is. Other than the correlation between sensor size and body size/weight, I suppose.

This probably seems like the default answer around here lately, but I would go with a GH4 for your stated wants. Bigger and beefier than the Pocket, does 1080 up to 96fps, under $2k, batteries last forever, AF, photos, goes flat and you'll be able to stabilize the heck out of its 4K while maintaining a 1080p finish.

You also seem to think that for stabilization, it's a big-bucks robo-gimbal, or nothing (handheld)? That's an odd perspective. A simple $200-300 video monopod can make a massive difference and you'll still be very mobile and quick. You can get a glidecam/steadicam for similar money. Or you could even stay under $50 with a simple cheap Polaroid shoulder rig or GorillaPod, and at least go from jittering to swaying...

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Yes you seem to think sensor size has something to do with stabilization/shakiness of the footage. It doesn't. If you're getting more stable results out of your 5D then that's because it's a heavier, easier to hold camera, thus making it a bit more stable in your hand.

If it's all about the stabilization, as said above at least try something like even a gorillapod coupled with an LCD loup, and see if you like the results. If you happen to still don't, you can always keep them for future cameras. The images out of the BMPC are pretty good compared to any modern camera up to 10K, if you already have it and can live with its quirks, don't give up on it yet

Turboguard,

The other posters are right.  Sensor size has nothing to do with shake.  The 5D MK II is a more stable camera because it has more mass.  And as others have said it is quite easy to rig up a BMPCC to have more mass.  Just bolt stuff to it like a shoulder rig.

Something else you may or may not be considering is did you use lenses with image stabilization (IS) built in on the 5D MK II?  Many lenses that have IS don't work on the BMPCC.  The last time I checked you needed a m43 lens with a physical IS on/off swich on the lens body.  So that may be the source of your issue.  Get a m43 lens with a physical on/off switch on the body and give it a try... assuming you haven't already.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Regarding the lenses and IS, I use the Metabones Speedbooster for wider view and 1 higher Fstop. I have mainly Nikon lenses at the moment and they have something called VR. I've done some tests having it on and off and it doesn't seem to make a difference on how shaky it is.

When I was shooting with the 5DM2 I mainly had Samyang prime lenses, and just the stability I got from "run and gun" using it is such an improvement over what I get with my BMPCC.

I think I'm going to buy the GH4 mentioned earlier and play with it for a while. I do miss being able to shoot stills and I have not accepted a single event/weeding gig in the past year cause of the BMPCC which has def. put my budget in a position I'm not used to.

Shooting a documentary in July and I just know I can't do it with the BMPCC as I'll mostly be out all day together with this homeless veteran. Even shooting ProRes will have me run to nearest starbucks to dump my footage and erase the cards (and recharge batteries).

Again, I'm 100% certain the BMPCC is not for me and I've learned it over this course. 

The Nikon lenses' VR wouldn't work on the Speedbooster as it does not supply power to the lens.

Your shakiness with the 5D vs. the Pocket might just be as simple as the crop factor on the Pocket (even with the Speedbooster) making your lenses effectively longer.

@Aldolega

Correct. I'm going to head by BH and pick up a monopod to play around with as it's more simple to carry around than a tripod. 

Again, it's not just the shakiness but the whole workflow working with the BMPCC. Here's short I shot on a Canon 550D (t2i) about 4 years ago today (Summer of 2010 I believe);

vimeo.com/56052048 

It was also my first try on some color grading (so bare with it). But comparing that to work I've done with the BMPCC; 

. Making that short took me around 12h and to make that mock up took me almost a day! it's just so time consuming and YES I can def see the difference in quality between the two (RAW vs 720p compressed) but I somewhat like the look of the short better.

Again, cameras doesn't make movies, people do and have been using worse technology for years but still created fantastic pieces. I just don't want to feel like I'm doing a bad mistake letting the BMPCC go. (Ugh I'm such a whiney kid right now)

PS. Here's one a short one I did in a couple of hours from 5DM2; 

(Obvs used a shitty post stabilizer) 

I just feel like I'm working more efficiently with DSRL footage than DNG/RAW

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Then obviously the BM was the incorrect investment and not for you, find something with an efficient codec (small file sizes and still good IQ) with a good battery life and ergonomics.

This description fits obviously the GH4. It's lovely. But do you want 4K or see yourself benefiting from the 4K workflow or not?
If you don't need 4K, then look at the lovely 1080p cameras available now, like the Sony A6000, which delivers perfect 1080p in tiny file sizes and a very ergonomic package in terms of exposure, focus assist and a great evf. It goes for 700$ compared to 1700$ for the GH4. The GH4 is superior but worth a look at if you don't need the extra 4K resoluton

another one you should look at is the Nikon D5300, which also goes for about 700$. One of the best images on the market. I am suggestng it because you say you have Nikon lenses with VR that you obviously never used, thus with a Nikon body you'll be able to use them natively and have VR working. VR will blow your mind and probably solve all the shakiness issues you have, it's magic! Also the D5300 takes better stills than nearly all the competitors on the market even the GH4.

If you have the extra money, and find you'll benefit from the extra features like 96fps, 4K, then definitely go with that. Does Nikon VR work with, m43 adaptors though?

Yes you seem to think sensor size has something to do with stabilization/shakiness of the footage. It doesn't. If you're getting more stable results out of your 5D then that's because it's a heavier, easier to hold camera, thus making it a bit more stable in your hand.

Bigger, heavier (to a point) cameras probably are easier to hold steady handheld.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...