GH4 Autofocus Slower than GH3?

Ben Corwin

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I haven't done any in depth tests, but so far my Panasonic 14-140mm seems to hunt more on my GH4 than on my GH3 in video mode. Griffin Hammond has also made this observation with his Panasonic 12-35mm. He is the only other person I know of that's mentioned it as well. Maybe I just need to play with some settings to see if it helps speed things up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It is good that AF in video is kind of slow in generally. I still hope that in action or sports shooting it could be faster. One suggestion for FW update would be adjustable AF speed in video (2-3 speed choices) and maybe adjustable AF distance range. And please get that video AFS/AFC in some button !!!

GUYS and gals.. This tread is excellent example that you should pay attention to your information more carefully.

All most all the posts here lack information. One reading this get's wrong impression like ZILLION times on wheter you are talking about autofocus while taking pictures or autofocus in video mode. IT should be all so stated what video mode is in question. 

My understanding is that GH4's AF speed in 4K video mode is slower than GH 3's AF speed in it's 1080p video mode. 

GUYS and gals.. This tread is excellent example that you should pay attention to your information more carefully.

All most all the posts here lack information. One reading this get's wrong impression like ZILLION times on wheter you are talking about autofocus while taking pictures or autofocus in video mode. IT should be all so stated what video mode is in question. 

My understanding is that GH4's AF speed in 4K video mode is slower than GH 3's AF speed in it's 1080p video mode. 

That is so right. There is a different with 24P, 30P, 50P, 60P, 4k, lenses, AF-modes, Scene contrast and +-EV, AF accuracy, etc...

Opinions and scientific tests are 2 different matters.

That is so right. There is a different with 24P, 30P, 50P, 60P, 4k, lenses, AF-modes, Scene contrast and +-EV, AF accuracy, etc...

Opinions and scientific tests are 2 different matters.

Yes I'm aware various settings that cause differences in AF functionality but I still stand by my testing and expeience that the video AF on the GH4 is considerably slower than the GH2.