FS700 Skin tones & Lighting

jcs

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Skin tones and color seem perfect. It captured all the little color tones, gradations and detail. Not exactly the most flattering to a female face like say, an Arri, but accurate and detailed. I am sure it looks even better without YT compression. Good job. 

Frankly, considering it's shot in AVCHD the chroma work is more than acceptable, I'd even say great... hard to get anything more "solid" with such compression. Two thumbs up for those skin tones, and the overall lighting is pleasant, too.

Having said that, the recipe was fuel for my nightmares. Non-stick spray? Basil and oregano? The pretty lady and the nice lighting made it worthwhile, but I hope nobody follows her advice...

Thanks Ebrahim! How would you suggest I change the lighting/camera-settings to be more flattering?

Thanks Pablo! A couple years ago I worked on Background Subtraction image processing apps (desktop and mobile) where we removed the background without a green screen. There's lots of cool tricks that would help with a green screen- not present in Premiere's Ultra or other chroma key filters. There's another chroma key in AE- didn't try it as AE is so slow and we had limited time.

Have you tried the recipe? That's something I came up with- so far everyone who's tried it loves it. Grapeseed and coconut oil are both healthy oils for cooking (not non-stick per se). We cook on iron pans (safest / most healthy (no teflon)).

Picture Profile 6 Settings with changes (any value not listed is 0 or default):

Black Level: 0
GAMMA: CINE4
BLACK GAMMA: RANGE: MIDDLE, LEVEL: +4
KNEE: MODE: MANUAL, MANUAL SET: 75%, SLOPE: +5
COLOR MODE: TYPE: STILL, LEVEL: 8
COLOR LEVEL: -2
COLOR PHASE: +4 (this may need to be tweaked based on lights used)
COLOR DEPTH: B: +7, C: +7 (same comment regarding lights used)
WB SHIFT: FILTER TYPE: LB-CC, LB[COLOR TEMP]: -4, CC[MG/GR]: +2, RGAIN: -9, B GAIN: +9 (same comment regarding lights)
DETAIL: 0

Again, the goal is no 'look'- accurate representation of the scene is the goal. I'll do another test with this light set up and no green screen.

Hey FilmMan- let us know what you think! I use both grapeseed oil (spray) and coconut oil (love the flavor- it's also a healthy oil). Sometimes I use curry powder which also contains turmeric. Basil, oregano, and parsley can be used- mix & match for taste. For folks who have issues with cheese, take 1 Source Naturals Daily Essential Enzymes tablet (has many enzymes- helps with proteins, carbohydrates, etc.).

Thanks Inazuma- I let Elena know about the transparency; perhaps a different makeup will help. Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks Pablo! A couple years ago I worked on Background Subtraction image processing apps (desktop and mobile) where we removed the background without a green screen. There's lots of cool tricks that would help with a green screen- not present in Premiere's Ultra or other chroma key filters. There's another chroma key in AE- didn't try it as AE is so slow and we had limited time.

Please DO share as many tricks as possible! As you know, no two greenscreen shoots are the same and each time we have to face different "issues". In the last few years I'm liking Primatte Keyer better than Keylight (which is cleaner) because it allows you to remove any kind of background even with compressed codecs, since it has many matte cleaning tools. Whenever the footage is properly lit and shot (right color depth and codec) Keylight does an amazing job.

Have you tried the recipe? That's something I came up with- so far everyone who's tried it loves it. Grapeseed and coconut oil are both healthy oils for cooking (not non-stick per se). We cook on iron pans (safest / most healthy (no teflon)).

I'm sure it tastes fine (it is melted cheese after all, so it should!). It's just that basil, oregano, gouda and grapeseed oil are not very Mexican... With regards to oil, many vegetable oils can and have been really toxic -processed incorrectly- and have killed a lot of people (canola oil, for example), even though they are widely used in the US mainly due to their low price. Fortunately, where I live we only use olive oil and some sunflower.

It would be nice if Primatte and Keylight were accessible in PPro. Ultra is real-time in PPro and does a very good job if the green screen is well lit. Here I lit the green screen better which helped with keying:

[we're moving in the direction of humor  ;)]

The green screen tricks I was referring to were at the code level (custom C++ and GPU shaders): we removed backgrounds without a green screen. Can't discuss the algorithms though it would be nice if they were implemented in commercial keyers.

Regarding the quesadilla- I chose those ingredients based on taste and nutrition. Coconut oil adds healthy fat to help reduce the glycemic index of the tortillas. Cayenne helps reduce potential inflammatory properties of cheese. Corn was chosen as it doesn't contain any wheat and is generally less processed (ideally non-GMO). If quinoa tortillas exist, that would be another good option (or rice since some folks have corn allergies).

Reviewing grapseed oil- it's high in omega-6 fatty acids (inflammatory) and may contain hexane from processing (100% natural oil on the label unfortunately doesn't really mean 100% as allowed by the FDA). So the oil I recommend the most is organic cold pressed coconut oil such as Barleans: http://www.amazon.com/Barleans-Organic-Virgin-Coconut-Ounce/dp/B00ATW2QII/. Coconut oil has the least omega 6: http://authoritynutrition.com/optimize-omega-6-omega-3-ratio/

Olive oil isn't a bad choice, however I prefer the taste of coconut oil. Thanks for the comment regarding oils- I had purchased a new brand of '100% natural' grapeseed oil and had not researched it.

jcs, try putting a shoot through scrim on on the key light.  For every other lighting equipment, try to bounce it so they don't leave highlights or shadows.  The highlights on the seasonings and black ingredient cups are all going to try to steal your attention.  Also, the camera angle of your subject and the camera angle of the backdrop are very different.