Removing Coating from Anamorphic Lenses

tonydtv

I was curious if anyone has tried this. I've got an Isco projection lens, and while I love the sharpness, it doesn't really flare. Would removing the coating reduce the flare suppression?

So far I've searched other forums and found people saying toothpaste or Brasso works as a mild abrasive, and after hours of polishing you can strip off the protective coating.

Anyone try something similar?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was curious if anyone has tried this. I've got an Isco projection lens, and while I love the sharpness, it doesn't really flare. Would removing the coating reduce the flare suppression?

So far I've searched other forums and found people saying toothpaste or Brasso works as a mild abrasive, and after hours of polishing you can strip off the protective coating.

Anyone try something similar?

Try checking in with a watch guy at a jewelry place. They usually deal with coatings on crystals, removing and re-applying them, etc.

My understanding is that lens coatings are there to increase light transmission and reduce light reflection (or is it refraction?).

Still haven't done this yet, got sidetracked with another lens experiment, hope to try this out in the next month or so.

• 3 months later...

@tonydtv you seems to ask all the questions I have answers to. For some odd reason this flickr group I follow that makes custom lenses dont seem too concerned with removing coatings. Then again those are for multiple lensing element lenses.

Anyways toothpaste apparantly will do it. Toothpaste and lots of rubbing. However coatings themselves are very thin and one of the issues you may run across when using an actual agent to remove it ( I cant remember right now what it was called ) is that it can actually start to shape the glass if you arent careful.

So just... be careful XD

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't go with rubbing since it's going to make micro cutting on the surface and you'll lose sharpness and it will look really bad.

Somewhere I don't remember, I've heard about SUPER OVEN CLEANER FOAM which by the way removes coatings, anodizing, painting etc pretty well. This product is really really dangerous for skin, eyes etc...

I advise you to try on a broken lens outdoor before, just to check the results. Protect the lens barrel with masking tape. And wear the appropriate protection equipement like a mask and goggles and gloves it's extremely corrosive.

Try with a bad broken lens and let us know.