Original Ursa Mini 4.6k in 2021

And1

14 hours ago, j_one said:

Sorry to bump this old old, but I have the opportunity to pick up the original 4.6k for around $1300, perhaps even less if I negotiate. Need you guys help! I was dead set on picking up a used pocket 6K or even used pcoket G2 for around the same price, but for my work I'd benefit from SDI connections and client perception of the "professional" form factor. Working on a budget.

Personally I'd rather use a Pocket 6K Pro (or in my dreams... a Pocket 4K Pro, if only it existed!!! Or a Pocket 6K Pro but with a MFT or E Mount) , so I understand why the original URSA Mini 46K (non-Pro version) are crashing in price. 

But if client perception matters to you, then I reckon either the URSA Mini is a good idea for you. Or for only a little more, an even better idea would be the Sony FS7. 

14 hours ago, FHDcrew said:

FS5 isn’t a bad option for 1080p use because it’s 10 bit 422, might be oversampled too. Formfactor gets weird if you use an Atomos recorder for the 4k CDNG or Prores RAW

Yeah the FS7 is a much better idea than a FS5. But if you're ok with a lot of 4K 8bit or 1080 10bit work the bulk of the time, then I guess it only being the minority of the time when you need to drag out the recorder then that wouldn't be so bad? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Personally I'd rather use a Pocket 6K Pro (or in my dreams... a Pocket 4K Pro, if only it existed!!! Or a Pocket 6K Pro but with a MFT or E Mount) , so I understand why the original URSA Mini 46K (non-Pro version) are crashing in price. 

But if client perception matters to you, then I reckon either the URSA Mini is a good idea for you. Or for only a little more, an even better idea would be the Sony FS7. 

I know you're right. If I'm building up from the lower end then client perception probably isn't as important unless I'm renting anyway. And it's best to get something that can be serviced. That's a proper business decision. I'll look into the Pocket G2 and just budget for the upgrade later on.

I had no idea the FS7 dropped to the $2k range, wow. Time is moving along.

10 hours ago, j_one said:

I had no idea the FS7 dropped to the $2k range, wow. Time is moving along.

yeah it might not be in the best condition, and won't have accessories like the XDCA, but with a bit of a luck you can find them for US$2K-ish! Crazy huh? 

It isn't a bad option if you can get one cheap with some accessories. 

Its a larger sensor than the P6K and the ergonomics are nicer. The option for Prores 444 is awesome.

At 5 pounds its not a super heavy package and you don't need to do much to be ready to shoot besides throw on a Vmount battery. Resolution wise 4.6k is really nice at frame rates up to 60p. 

It's got some weight to it but at 5 pounds it isn't bad. Gives for a great natural looking handheld and it's light enough where you could get it on a Ronin with a smaller lens.