Troubleshooting GH5 Switching to Video Mode

Marta

My Gh5 automatically switches to video mode when connected to a timelapse intervalomer. After the initial shutter release it starts recording video instead of single photos.

I checked the camera settings and found no reason that could justify the issue

Camera Settings:

1) Mode Dial was set to Manual Exposure Mode

2)  Drive Dial is set to Single

3) AE Lock and Shutter is AUTO or MSHTR

Im unable to use the GH5 on the slider for timelapse photography until I found a fix for this 😞

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Marta

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 hours ago, Lux Shots said:

Your drive dial needs to be set to intervalomer, not single. You probably also have that switch in the creative video position. Please post a cell phone pic of your mode dial and menus.

Yeah, sounds like that might be it.  

When I first got my GH5 I tested the time-lapse mode, then couldn't for the life of me work out how to turn it off.  I googled and watched videos but no-one was talking about it.  Eventually I found something that reminded me there was a third dial on top of the camera and one twist and I was all good again.

Something as powerful as the GH5 with all the deep menu settings takes a while to work out all the modes and various combinations and limitations!

On 3/14/2021 at 1:46 PM, Marta said:

when connected to a timelapse intervalomer

Hi Marta, and welcome to the forum!

I'm curious as to which external intervalometer you're using (make/model, pics?) it may give a clue as to the problem.

Also, is there a reason you're choosing to use an external intervalometer over the camera's built-in intervalometer (time-lapse) features?

Get back at your best convenience, :)

Jim

11 hours ago, Jimmy G said:

Hi Marta, and welcome to the forum!

I'm curious as to which external intervalometer you're using (make/model, pics?) it may give a clue as to the problem.

Also, is there a reason you're choosing to use an external intervalometer over the camera's built-in intervalometer (time-lapse) features?

Get back at your best convenience, 🙂

Jim

It's built into the camera Jim! I don't think the OP was using anything external.

1 hour ago, Lux Shots said:

It's built into the camera Jim! I don't think the OP was using anything external.

Hi Lux Shots,

The OP stated, "when connected to a timelapse intervalomer" (bolding mine), and that says to me that they were using an external intervalometer device.

Yes, I know there's a built-in intervalometer and I asked the OP why they were not using it.

My apologies if my previous post was not clearer. :)

Jim

On 3/16/2021 at 7:37 PM, Jimmy G said:

Hi Lux Shots,

The OP stated, "when connected to a timelapse intervalomer" (bolding mine), and that says to me that they were using an external intervalometer device.

Yes, I know there's a built-in intervalometer and I asked the OP why they were not using it.

My apologies if my previous post was not clearer. 🙂

Jim

Yeah, I completely overlooked that, because who would use an external intervalometer with the GH5 right? 

That's what I get for not reading carefully.

1 hour ago, Lux Shots said:

Yeah, I completely overlooked that, because who would use an external intervalometer with the GH5 right? 

That's what I get for not reading carefully.

It didn't make sense to me either, but I figured that maybe a physical programmable intervalometer remote (like I've used on my Canon gear) might offer some benefit to the OP in practical usage versus digging through the camera menus? I suppose we could start a campfire while we wait for the OP's return...S'more? :)