OMD EM1 video settings, video codes etc, HELP

RamblinR

New to this forum so a big hello to everyone.

I am wanting to get into video - currently do stills photography.  

Current cameras are m43 OMD EM5 and an EM1 (sold all my canon gear).

I did my first movie last weekend with the EM1.  

Editeding in iMovie 11 until I decide on something better maybe Final Cut Pro?  Recommendations?

I will be doing short videos of up to about 10 minutes finished but more likely 5 minutes.

I realise the EM1 is not the best video camera from all the reading I have done on the net so far, and I am considering getting the Panasonic G6 if I need to down the track (understand it has very good specs for video) but the Olympus IBIS is a great feature and I have a good range of lenses (samyang 7.5 fisheye, oly 45 1.8, oly 75 1.8, panny 25 1.4, oly 12-40 2.8, panny 35-100 2.8)

First, I would really appreciate it if someone could give me a link to sites that help me to understand all the codec and shooting speeds for video  e.g. 24p, 60p etc etc.  All the stuff I need to get up to speed.  I have search for the last 2 days and really can't seem to come up with much information that spells it all out to a newbie.

Secondly, can someone advise me the best way to set up the EM1 for video

At this time I want to use the EM1 (with the correct video settings) and iMovie to edit until I need to move forward.

Should I upload the video to iMovie as the full file for better outputting results to dvd etc or use the large setting?

It it better to export out of iMovie to the desktop for vimeo and if so which is the best output selection

(medium, large, HD 720p, HD 1080p)?

I burned a DVD using share/idvd in iMovie but this was terrible.  Then exported out of iMovie to HD720p and dropped into iDVD. This was much better but still shows a little moire.  Any better suggestions for burning DVD's.

Appreciate any help.

Maria

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Welcome :)

New to this forum so a big hello to everyone.

I am wanting to get into video - currently do stills photography.  

Current cameras are m43 OMD EM5 and an EM1 (sold all my canon gear).

I did my first movie last weekend with the EM1.  

Editeding in iMovie 11 until I decide on something better maybe Final Cut Pro?  Recommendations?

I will be doing short videos of up to about 10 minutes finished but more likely 5 minutes.

I realise the EM1 is not the best video camera from all the reading I have done on the net so far, and I am considering getting the Panasonic G6 if I need to down the track (understand it has very good specs for video) but the Olympus IBIS is a great feature and I have a good range of lenses (samyang 7.5 fisheye, oly 45 1.8, oly 75 1.8, panny 25 1.4, oly 12-40 2.8, panny 35-100 2.8)

First, I would really appreciate it if someone could give me a link to sites that help me to understand all the codec and shooting speeds for video  e.g. 24p, 60p etc etc.  All the stuff I need to get up to speed.  I have search for the last 2 days and really can't seem to come up with much information that spells it all out to a newbie.

Secondly, can someone advise me the best way to set up the EM1 for video

At this time I want to use the EM1 (with the correct video settings) and iMovie to edit until I need to move forward.

Should I upload the video to iMovie as the full file for better outputting results to dvd etc or use the large setting?

It it better to export out of iMovie to the desktop for vimeo and if so which is the best output selection

(medium, large, HD 720p, HD 1080p)?

I burned a DVD using share/idvd in iMovie but this was terrible.  Then exported out of iMovie to HD720p and dropped into iDVD. This was much better but still shows a little moire.  Any better suggestions for burning DVD's.

Appreciate any help.

Maria

Whilst I don't have an OMD or an Apple, I can give you some general tips.

Final Cut Pro is the choice of a lot of enthusiasts. Adobe Premiere/After Effects is another one.

The EM1 only does 30p (30 fps. Im not sure why a "p" is stuck on the end of everything these days). So make sure your timeline and output are at 30fps (unless you want to decrease it).

24fps is the standard for films. If you compare it side by side to 30fps, it will look jerky. However this is part of how you get the film "look".

The Hobbit in imax 3d uses 48fps. Some people liked it, most don't because it looks too smooth.. like a soap opera.

60fps is similar to the refresh rate of most LCD screens (59 or 60hz). For this reason, most gamers want to get their games to run at this frame rate. So they can see every movement smoothly.

When you export, you should export using Quicktime (.mov) or MP4. In both cases, you should use the h264 codec. Set the quality as high as you want or if it asks for a target/max bitrate, set it to 24mbps. This is usually the most optimal for desktop viewing. When you upload it to Vimeo, they will compress it to 20mbps. YouTube compresses significantly more.

Hope this helps :)