Blackmagic 4k vs 1DC video

Germy1979

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The thing that disturbs me when comparing definition (and not resolution, which is the number of pixel in a digital image) is that the 1DC and BMPC4K have different gamma curves, with different black levels. 

Definition is directly linked with contrast, because when you adjust your blacks to 20 mV the perception of micro-contrasts (= definition) is way much better than with a flat image. If the black levels change, your perception of micro contrast will of course be different. That's why I think that comparing definition between two cameras should be with an ISO 12233 mire, with blacks adjust to the same level. Shooting with that mire allow to know the MTF resolution, and then, the circle of confusion, which is very useful to calculate your depth of field.

Of course this is not a scientific test, and it allows us to have an idea of the different definition. But I think that an huge website like Cinema5D (sponsored by B&H !) should be able to furnish this kind of test. Let's find out with the next test if they will !

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

The only thing I don't really like is that huge crop factor on a supposedly S35 sensor... The 1DC already has an APS-H crop factor in 4K, so the BMPC seems to be around x1.85 from full frame -as announced sensor size suggested-. That's closer to a M4/3 filed of view than S35.

It's really not that big of a deal and not worth the thought.

The academy standard super35 is 24mm wide, the Canon APS-C is 22.5mm wide, the black magic is about 22mm, the Red Epic is about 27mm wide. There are differences in size between these sensors but it's VERY marginal and negligble really, they're all super35 sensors.
It's about a 1.7 crop. It's a big sensor.

It reminds me of people saying that 3980X2160 is inferior to 4K and shouldn't be called 4K. I mean, Come on! :D

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Anyway I am impressed with this footage. It really puts up a fight with the 1DC for a fraction of the price. However the 1DC is a much more usable, practical camera, we have to admit that. Good job Blackmagic. Exciting times ahead!

It's really not that big of a deal and not worth the thought.

Well, it is worth some thought IMHO. Even though it may be called S35 -though hardly- differences are not that negligible when you account for sensor area, no just width, affecting field of view and depth of field. Differences between a C300 (369 sq. mm), an APS-C DSLR (332 sq. mm) or an Epic (345 sq. mm) are normal, but the BM 4K (250 sq. mm) is in the ballpark of a GH4 (225 sq. mm) or any other M43 rather than S35.

It's not about being picky, it does have an effect on the choice of lenses and the actual way to shoot with it. Also, not so important to me -but maybe for some- I've read comparisons with the GH4 stating sensor size as a big plus for the BM, as being a "more professional" format. Regardless of how you judge it, both cameras are going to be very similar in that particular aspect.

Wow. Hardly any difference. 

*edit removed condescending phrasing that was uncalled for

it's actually very different

00:31 blown out mushy highlights on bmcc not on canon

00:58 high crop factor on bmcc

01:10 terrible shadow performance on the bmcc (if you want to see how bad it truly is watch in full screen)

1:27 global shutter on bmcc better than rolling on canon

they differ in highlight performance, crop factor, shadow performance, and global shutter vs rolling shutter.

Completely different.

00:31 blown out mushy highlights on bmcc not on canon

00:58 high crop factor on bmcc

01:10 terrible shadow performance on the bmcc (if you want to see how bad it truly is watch in full screen)

1:27 global shutter on bmcc better than rolling on canon

they differ in highlight performance, crop factor, shadow performance, and global shutter vs rolling shutter.

Completely different.

I agree with your assesment of this video, but i've seen CInema 5D be Canon shills before, so I can't trust that their expirement was 100% objective.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Well, it is worth some thought IMHO. Even though it may be called S35 -though hardly- differences are not that negligible when you account for sensor area, no just width, affecting field of view and depth of field. Differences between a C300 (369 sq. mm), an APS-C DSLR (332 sq. mm) or an Epic (345 sq. mm) are normal, but the BM 4K (250 sq. mm) is in the ballpark of a GH4 (225 sq. mm) or any other M43 rather than S35.
It's not about being picky, it does have an effect on the choice of lenses and the actual way to shoot with it. Also, not so important to me -but maybe for some- I've read comparisons with the GH4 stating sensor size as a big plus for the BM, as being a "more professional" format. Regardless of how you judge it, both cameras are going to be very similar in that particular aspect.

I hear you, I guess priorities differ from one to another, what's small and negligble to me might be significant to you.