Camera makers recent focus on video

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Richard Butler is the last good writer at DPReview (in my opinion)

He makes some interesting points here

https://***URL removed***/articles/9433714188/let-it-roll-why-camera-makers-are-going-to-keep-adding-video/1

But we shouldn't see something as a video camera just because it has a good video mode and good codec.

The Sigma Fp for example, was described at DPReview in their review as a video camera!

As if the stills side doesn't exist.

People not quite figured out that a hybrid camera means it is a stills camera if you're a stills shooter and a video camera if you're a video shooter and both if you're both.

It's all about versatility.

PS. Nikon Df leaving out video altogether didn't win them a single sale but lost them thousands.

PPS. Fuji X-Pro 3 needs a video record Fn button, in a firmware update, and another Fn button to quickly toggle between stills and video mode. Even on a stills orientated body like that, it doesn't win Fuji any fans hiding 10bit 4K in a sub-menu of the Drive options.

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 6/5/2020 at 3:01 AM, Andrew Reid said:

PS. Nikon Df leaving out video altogether didn't win them a single sale but lost them thousands.

I think it would have won them a few sales, there definitely are a small handful of odd weirdos who crave a camera like the video lacking Nikon Df. 

But you're right about the many many sales lost because that feature is missing from the spec sheet, that far far outweighs the minuscule number of sales they gained. As evident by the fact Nikon never repeated this mistake with a Df mk2!

I’m happy to see, or would like to see cameras with different intentions.

Using Fuji as an example:

XH2 video

XT4 hybrid

X Pro3 stills

In regard to the Pro3, I’d have been totally fine if they had removed any/all video capability.

XH2 maybe retain some stills capability but clear video bias.

Ergonomics can play a part in how we can use these things.

I’m really not a fan of a move to everything that can do anything...but then if it can, why not?!