Color correction for hybrid H.264/RAW

Dan Wake

Hello, few weeks ago I saw somewhere a video (youtube or vimeo) where a guy explained hit technique to color correct h.246 colors to match the RAW colors "temperature and saturation" (I do not know if those words are appropriate).

I wish to ask you if you can link this video here because I couldn't find it again by myself and I believe it could be really useful.

I wish to do learn how to do similar experiment I wish to shoot documentaries in hybrid H.264/RAW. H.264 for the main footage and RAW for "b-roll" (nature/city environment). For me is very important to build a bridge of visual communications (colors temperature, contrast, saturation, etc. etc...) trough H.264 and RAW. I would like to merge them in my video footage. And use RAW with parsimony (only where is really needed). 

I agree for example on what @Finn said in his topic "The last documentary we shot on 2 cameras (FS700 and 550D)  left us with ruffly 360Gb of footage. imagine this in RAW or ProRes, Storage is still too expensive for those kinds of work.   (Not only do I need to backup 2x in the Field but also copy everything to the workstations RAID and then Backup on Tape)" (cit.)

If you have any tutorial/advice on how to achieve this quality of color correction between H.264 and RAW please let me know! :)

Thanks for your help,

Dan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

sorry I think I misunderstand my intuition. maybe all of this work is really not necessary. A-roll and b-roll would be shoot in different places. So is not necessary to match the colors between the two techniques. 

anyway it could be useful if you shoot a-roll and b-roll in the same location. if this video (which I said at first post) does not come out I will try to find a technique by myself. By the way I have not a good experience in color correction and I do not know where to start exactly. If you can suggest something I would be grateful.

You better start with learning one, your CC software with the manual or better yet with a complete video tut training. Then there are some very general advices on requirements and workflow:

1. Calibrate your monitor(s) ...
2. Backlight them with 6500k balanced lights.
3. Paint the wall behind with a dark, neutral grey.
4. Exclude all strongly colored objects from your FOV.
5. Don't allow reflections or light temperatur mixes.

Workflow:
1. Optimize your clips (neutralize them). Don't trust your eyes. Use the scopes. This is primary CC.
2. Apply changes to selected areas of your images. This is secondary CC.
3. Find a look for the most enigmatic of your shots in one sequence. Now your taste and your good eye are asked for. Don't start this step when you're tired or not relaxed. This (on top of steps 1&2) is a grade. Copy the grade.
4. Apply the grade to the rest of the sequence, fine-tune it.
You will find, that by now clips from different cameras or with different lenses or exposure will look 98% as much congruent as possible.
5. Finally, iron out the missing 2% by comparing all your shots with the tools provided by your software (split screen, lighttable, whatever). After you graded for look, now grade for consistency.