First test of Nikon D800 uncompressed HDMI output

Andrew Reid

[quote author=Simco123 link=topic=405.msg2651#msg2651 date=1332139009]
Sara, did you actually bought a D800 for video?
[/quote]

Was VERY close.  I do need a high MP camera for production stills and stock photography that I do - figured the D800 would fit the bill (and the D800e still might).  But if I couldn't get good video from the D4 my shop had - I don't have much faith in the D800.  I can rent Pentax 645 or Hassy or buy a Sigma SD1M for less money than the D800e if the video doesn't pan out.  I still have 2 GH2's left (just sold my third on ebay to help pay for new KinoFlo Barfly lights). 

[url=http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7203/6827655408_d2b0cb8531.jpg]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7203/6827655408_d2b0cb8531.jpg[/url]

Finding an "all in one" camera that does the stills I need and GH2 quality video is tough.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
I will waite for NAB next month to see if the Canon 4k comes out and what the price is. If nothing comes out or price too high I will go with the 5DIII. Even with the hack I am not a huge fan of GH2 for dayight outdoor stuff due to DR and wacky consumer colours and electronic look. The 5D2 had very nice DR and roll off.

About D4/D800 is the clean HDMI a 720p, 1080i or 1080p?

[quote author=Simco123 link=topic=405.msg2653#msg2653 date=1332140131]
I will waite for NAB next month to see if the Canon 4k comes out and what the price is. If nothing comes out or price too high I will go with the 5DIII.
[/quote]

The Canon 4k DSLR will be expensive I think.

Think about it, it will have a new sensor and processor (even the C300 recycles parts from one of Canons camcorders) and will have image quality above the 5D and 1DX right?  Well those are $3500 and $6000 cameras.  With the C300 priced at $16,000 it would have to be priced under it (and with a few less features - skimp on audio perhaps).

If it was $10,000ish would you be interested?  I mean it can't be at the same price as the 5DMK3 - it would make that camera useless.  Also remember that the Sony F3 (a monster if you have a good external recorder) now comes with S-log free for $13,999. 

[quote author=Sara link=topic=405.msg2654#msg2654 date=1332146421]
[quote author=Simco123 link=topic=405.msg2653#msg2653 date=1332140131]
I will waite for NAB next month to see if the Canon 4k comes out and what the price is. If nothing comes out or price too high I will go with the 5DIII.
[/quote]

The Canon 4k DSLR will be expensive I think.

Think about it, it will have a new sensor and processor (even the C300 recycles parts from one of Canons camcorders) and will have image quality above the 5D and 1DX right?  Well those are $3500 and $6000 cameras.  With the C300 priced at $16,000 it would have to be priced under it (and with a few less features - skimp on audio perhaps).

If it was $10,000ish would you be interested?  I mean it can't be at the same price as the 5DMK3 - it would make that camera useless.  Also remember that the Sony F3 (a monster if you have a good external recorder) now comes with S-log free for $13,999.
[/quote]

Since the Canon 1DX is around $6.7k I believe the dSLR 4k will be less because it will not be more expensive than their flagship otherwise the 4k dSLR will be the flagship. Probably somewhere between the 5DIII and 1DX without the bells and whistle of the 1DX stills. I believe down scaling and video quality will not be that much better than 5DIII, might see further improvement in rolling shutter and maybe higher All I bitrates, big MP and slow fps for stills, in another word Canon's version of D800 plus 4k video at $4-$5k. I believe consumer 4k will be just around the corner and no longer a fad to charge such a high premium in 6 months time.

[quote author=Sara link=topic=405.msg2663#msg2663 date=1332171658]
Nice.  That's a pretty good guess Simco123.  You might be right.  :)  The 1DX doesn't really fit the needs of landscape or commercial photographers despite its price.
[/quote]

A 39mp camera would be perfect for 4x4 scaling for a 4k video, that will be Canon's studio camera.

[quote author=Sara link=topic=405.msg2650#msg2650 date=1332138170]
Youtube is flooded with D4 video tests from dozens and dozens of people.

Every video is poor, but at least most of these D4 owners admit that they will use the camera mostly for stills.  Mushy, low contrast, virtually no color depth, blown highlights, plugged shadows with tons of harsh pixels. 

Andrews initial skepticism of Nikon internal processing and hiding high quality videos from the public was criticized months ago by other blogs, forums and Nikon fanboys...but he is now being proven right.  Those people have egg on their face right now.

NOBODY is able to get quality video from the D4 or D800 internally right now.  My local shop has given up and now warns buyers that they are imposing heavy restocking fee's - a few people have already tried returning D4's because of mush video.  I would post samples I took but there is no point - they look exactly the same as the sample above - lifeless and videoish. 

So the only hope left is a $1000 Atomos Ninja or the Blackmagic Hyperdeck (also expensive when you add a decent SSD) and I don't own one of those.

Canon MK3 is the last hope for this round of cameras I am afraid though I am hoping to be proved wrong.

Bummer!
[/quote]

I guess the internal codec just sucks.  LOL on people returning their D4s.  And that video was bad, even the slow motion 720P was just horrible.  Win for Sony, their NEX5n and NEX7 60P trumps the D4 for slo-mo.  And what happened to the low-light?  Some of those internal shots were just crap, even the 5dmkII could beat it.  What happened to the D3s low-light?  Very interesting indeed...

[quote author=FilmMan link=topic=405.msg2670#msg2670 date=1332186059]

More video:
Not bad at all with available light.

[/quote]

I tell you what, there was noise reduction with this video.  There looks like no noise at all.  Even with that, you can tell the dynamic range isn't so great, that exterior shot with the blown highlights shows that.  Nice shots, don't get me wrong, but they should clearly state that they did some processing to the image.  Also, they probably didn't use the internal codec and used an external recorder.  The other video I commented on shows no noise reduction and it looks horrid.  The other thing too is that the image doesn't look very sharp, still soft.  GH2 is still king of getting very sharp results especially with the hacks.

[quote author=Sara link=topic=405.msg2643#msg2643 date=1332095950]
Basically says the Ninja can collect 10 bit color - but doesn't specifically say that it will, when plugged into a Nikon D4.
[/quote]
I contacted Atomos for clarification, and their response was: [i]"Atomos Ninja record as 4:2:2 10bit Apple Pro-Res"[/i]

which doesn't necessarily mean the Nikon D4/D800 will output 10-bit.

• Administrators
That isn't the clarification you asked for, typical customer services  ???

So 99% sure it is 8 bit on D800, D4. And not really massively better than the internal AVCHD.

The resolution is what kills it for me. Unlike the 5D Mark III it does not have the saving grace of clean detail and no moire either.

I think the Canon MK3 might be the best of the bunch for video - I am not thrilled with what I have seen but I could work with it and make use of the Cameras strengths.

Is anyone following the Magic Lantern groups?  Are they mentioning that they will work on hacks for the MK3?  Too early to tell?

Thanks!

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=405.msg2598#msg2598 date=1331911202]
What is the obsession with interlaced wrappers and HDMI, can someone please enlighten me? ...
[/quote]

I think who ever designed the HDMI circuit did not know what he was talking about.  The bigger issue I have with the output is the fact is it is 60 Hz, how did they go from 24p to 60i?  That means they added 6 frames for every field.

I understand why is was difficult to go to 1080p 60Hz for the output (double the bandwidth required), but maybe they found out that a lot of TVs and monitors still do not support 1080p 24 Hz.

And there is no such thing as a interlace wrapper, a 1080p and 1080i signals are different.

Nikon should have given the option to output 24p. A firmware fix should be able to fix this issue.  Nikon, are you listening?

Though not GH2 or C300 or FS100 levels of detail - this is the best I have seen from the D800 thus far.  He overexposed a lot of shots and the colors are a touch flat (true of all D800 videos so far - not his fault).

Interesting though.

https://vimeo.com/38912704

• Administrators
[quote author=Sara link=topic=405.msg2831#msg2831 date=1332468451]
Though not GH2 or C300 or FS100 levels of detail - this is the best I have seen from the D800 thus far.  He overexposed a lot of shots and the colors are a touch flat (true of all D800 videos so far - not his fault).

Interesting though.

https://vimeo.com/38912704
[/quote]

NOW my head hurts! This looks far more detailed and less compressed than any other D800 footage thus far.

There's a few nasties... macro blocking around highlights in the red channel and some aliasing on horizontal lines... But it really does look close to proper full HD.

Quite unlike what I have seen from the D4 so far as well. All the softness seemed to have gone.

Maybe it is the magic of Longshan's Temple?  ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm wondering if all of the horrible moire and aliasing footage we've seen from the D800 is really coming from people who have the D800E (which has the high-pass filter deactivated), but don't actually know it. I'm waiting to see footage from people I know I can trust to be anal about knowing the difference between details like that. *nudge* *nudge*