REVO SR-1000 Shoulder Rig

HurtinMinorKey

I'm trying to get over my hate of handheld shots, so I decided to get a really cheap shoulder rig for the BMCC.  I was surprised how expensive most of them are. Anyway, i ended up with this thing, and so far I am very impressed with it.  At $69 dollars my expectations were very very low, but it really does everything i need. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/884805-REG/revo_sr_1000_shoulder_support_rig.html

It supports just enough weight for me to use my Rokinon 24 cine, and there is a place to screw in my Switronix battery pack (which also functions as a counter weight, on the shoulder support).

It appears to be giving me very steady shots on my Canon 50mm too.  It probably won't support a full blown cage and mattebox, but don't use one anyway.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have the opteka version of this. Only being able to use one hand almost killed me one shoot. 

Thats the one thing thats bothering me... and the reason I'm going to try and sell it to get a rig where I can use both hands to hold. 

BUT I do like you can remove the bottom handle and screw it into the bottom of the camera. 

Its true you do get what you pay for, but I do think most rig kits are far too expensive for what they are. 

I currently have a 15mm rod shoulder support, more of a Franken-rig really, using different parts from different models. I saved a lot of money doing it this way, and it works beautifully. 

The usability of a rig has less to do with it's built quality (which you can only guess is related somehow to the price). There are three aspects:
1. Does the rig allow to get the viewfinder or external monitor in exactly the right position for my eye(s)?
2. Can I easily reach the focus ring of the lens or the follow focus (the latter a device that only should be needed for bigger DSLRs or the BMCC)
3. Is everything built ergonomically around my body? Do I have to balance the weight with my hands? Do I have to move my neck? Do I need to keep my arms and hands in awkward angles?

This Revo seems to neglect point 3. May 'only' cause pain or send you to the chiropracter. May also cause rotated images. Use the grids for control.

The good old broadcast camcorders, the beta shoulder cams, had the right approach. You could hold them for hours, the hands (wrists never bent) didn't hold weight, the arms were neither strechted out too much nor forced into an uncomfortable position. The viewfinder was left of the camera, moveable, reaching out for your right eye.

May also cause rotated images. Use the grids for control.

This is something that i didn't think about, and i'll want to be on the lookout.  Although the LCD screen is almost directly in front of me because of the offset with the shoulder brace, but it's not exactly dead ahead. 

I admit it's probably not something I'd want to shoot long events with, but with adequate counter weight, it's actually pretty comfortable. 

• 6 months later...

I realize this is an old thread but I'm curious now that you've had the Revo 1000 for a year what your thoughts are?  I'm looking at it (online only not in person) and have a couple of questions.  First and foremost do you find it problematic to keep the camera level? When you say the LCD is almost directly in front of the eye is that a flip out screen or a fixed screen like found on a 5D? Could you easily attach and use it with a viewfinder such as a hoodman?

Are there other simple shoulder rigs you would look at today or would you bypass this style and go to the two handed models?

Any insights are truly appreciated.

Thanks,  Craig

Hi.

I have the Sevenoak version of it. I can say coming from the ENG world I rather work with one grip than two so I feel very comfortable with it. 

Its very adjustable so i can use it with both XF300 and 5d2.

The balancing counterweight is mandatory! It gives you a very balanced setup but of course adds some weight.

Conclusion: try it with the balancer for 15 minutes then decide!

• 2 months later...