Anamorphic Shooter's Guide appropriate for my tiny $400 budget?

tosvus

Hi,

I have become intrigued by Anamorphic shooting (just a few weeks ago I questioned the point of doing this at all). However, I do not have much of a budget (surely an understatement especially from some of the prices I see out there).  At this point I can spend about $400 total for some kind of anamorphic lens and connection system.... 

I am guessing unless I look at projection lenses, not much in terms of options? What is the cheapest option deemed acceptable in the Shooters guide? (roughly)

Does the guide provide any pointers for me that are useful if I go the non-recommended route and buy a projection lens?

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
There are few options for projection lens most of them are big and heavy i have one it is 5 lbs that  paid 100 but using it is not practical at all, it is to big and you would need some support for it.

Anamorphic shooters guide which i have tells you to stay away from those big lenses what i did in my case is to and what guide recommends is smaller projection lens like kowa or sankor 16c EOSHD Rating for sankor is - 7/10. But better quality lens you find on ebay are wayyyyy overpriced.

I have sankor 16C lens it is small there is even smaller like bolex anamorphic but they are like over 1000 but sankor 16c is just fine it can be supported by your Camera body

If you are interested I have Sankor 16c for sale with 52mm clamp and hellios 44-2 lens i am asking 350 plus shipping i believe it is good deal since sankor alone on ebay runs for 500 then you weould need clamp another 50 to 60 dollars and hellios is about  30 to 50 dollars. Why hellios it is really nice look with sankor is it old Russian lens and it is build like a tank with no to limited vignetting.

email me at johhny003@gmail.com if interested

I was about to  post the lens on ebay when took a detour and seen your post

Images of lens is in good condition and glass is in awsome condition it cones with fron cap and diy back cap

Thanks

Helios + Sankor is very nice and sharp and does not vignette on m4/3 (in my experience) but that might be difficult if you're on APS-C (or full frame)!

BTW I do not agree on better quality lenses are always overpriced. There are many ridiculous listings but on the other hand

good quality comes at higher prices. Nothing wrong with that. And there is a huge difference between a Bolex Möller

and a Sankor (sharpness /at any aparture, handling/no diopter, focussing, weight, character).

Thanks for the input! I did end up getting the shooters guide. Even though I think it needs to be updated to include some additional lenses, it was very valuable in understanding some of the basics, and will be useful as a reference when I start filming and doing post-work.