Hands-on with the Canon 5D Mark III video mode

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/IMG_0007.jpg[/img]

I was able to try out the 5D Mark III for myself today in the UK at the Focus On Imaging show. I also had a talk to one of Canon’s technicians about sensor downscaling, HDMI output and more.

Is it truly the big improvement on the 5D Mark II for video everybody is hoping for?

I also got my hands on a Nikon D800 and Fuji X Pro, more on those after the break…

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/7361/hands-on-with-the-canon-5d-mark-iii/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote author=moebius22 link=topic=368.msg2272#msg2272 date=1331088290]
For the price it should blow the competition out of the water. It's not like the Gh2 is a new camera.
[/quote]

This is what I've been saying all along. I'm really unimpressed by the footage from this camera so far.
Maybe when we see the stuff strait out of the camera I will be, but for now I'm waiting for the reviews. The guy from planet5d.com said he will get both cameras by the end of the month to test. I'm sure all the other big guys like Philip Bloom and Andrew will have review units by that time frame as well.
Lets wait and see.

• Administrators
For the price I was expecting it to at least scale 22MP cleanly to 2MP, as the GH2 can scale 18MP to 2MP almost perfectly with resolution almost nip and tuck with a still scaled down in Photoshop.

The sensor in the GH2 is clearly optimised for video.

The sensor in the 5D3 is clearly not so much. A half hearted effort to add 1MP to 21MP to get even binning. Not sure what else they've changed.

This is an expensive camera. And there is nothing in-between this and the C300 from Canon. It is however - and this is important to remember - possibly the best full frame camera on the market for video. But the D800 is sure to give it some tough competition now. It isn't the walk over I thought it would be.

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=368.msg2275#msg2275 date=1331088789]
For the price I was expecting it to at least scale 22MP cleanly to 2MP, as the GH2 can scale 18MP to 2MP almost perfectly with resolution almost nip and tuck with a still scaled down in Photoshop.

The sensor in the GH2 is clearly optimised for video.

The sensor in the 5D3 is clearly not so much. A half hearted effort to add 1MP to 21MP to get even binning. Not sure what else they've changed.

This is an expensive camera. And there is nothing in-between this and the C300 from Canon. It is however - and this is important to remember - possibly the best full frame camera on the market for video. But the D800 is sure to give it some tough competition now. It isn't the walk over I thought it would be.
[/quote]

Andrew how do you think the D800 compares to the 5D Mark II in relation to moire and low light performance?
The 5D Mark II price dropped to $2.199 now, so from what you saw, is the $800 price difference worth it speaking strictly about moire and low light for video?
Thanks!

If Kineraw can get their camera(s) out sooner than later then Canon, Nikon, etc., could have their sales affected.  The big camera makers dangle a few treats for the people and expect the masses to accept this.  Most People understand that the camera makers will offer a few treats although better treats could be offered.  After they squeeze all they can from the consumer,  they'll offer more treats in a "new" model.  The game goes on and on.  For the majority, cameras are very expensive.  Risks of buying are present.  In a year, a camera becomes old technology and the price depreciates.  Interesting times lie ahead.  Curious how the JVC 4k camera will mix in here too. 

Funny how they say that there's not enough processing power for the camera to do both intra recording (which technically should require LESS processing power), and 1080p over HDMI. I mean, the GH2 does it, and that's older and much much much cheaper hardware. Consumer-level equipment moves so much faster, it seems. Maybe it's because consumers aren't afraid of change in workflow, or something.

So far the only major improvement for video is much less rolling shutter. To be fair, though, that's a significant improvement!

• Administrators
Good point Matthew. I don't entirely believe the reason there isn't clean HDMI at 1080p is because of lack of grunt. Even the 7D does it. Canon protecting C300 again?

"If you don't cannibalise yourself, someone else will".

One word: D800.

I find this really disturbing. I will probably wait for the Video DSLR hybrid, and hopefully, Canon will finally do it right. I have no qualms about paying 5k to 6K for a good full frame video camera. I just want Canon to do it RIGHT for once.

Canon has really been a let down lately. While people say the C-300 is a good Camera, it's still drastically overpriced for what you get.

I've waiting a long time so the C-VDSLR better be good or else it's the Sony FS-100 with the EOS Adaptor. I just cannot get myself to go Panasonic. I like more DOF and the option of shooting wide and the 2x crop is just a burden.

I think I might just pick up a T4i (which I think will come out fairly soon) and use it until the Canon DSLR hybrid comes out.

Plus, no Flip-Screen is a big No No for me. Really limits creative shots and angles

• Administrators
Don't forget Sony.

They will have a full frame camera out by Photokina 2012 and they have come on a hell of a lot with DSLR video lately.

Sure I am disappointed the 5D Mark III resolution is as soft as 5D Mark II but at least moire, aliasing, codec, rolling shutter and low light ALL improved. And it no longer drops to 540p over HDMI. It is a refinement of a great camera. The price is too high though, I agree.

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=368.msg2305#msg2305 date=1331135238]
Don't forget Sony.

They will have a full frame camera out by Photokina 2012 and they have come on a hell of a lot with DSLR video lately.

Sure I am disappointed the 5D Mark III resolution is as soft as 5D Mark II but at least moire, aliasing, codec, rolling shutter and low light ALL improved. And it no longer drops to 540p over HDMI. It is a refinement of a great camera. [b]The price is too high though, I agree[/b].
[/quote]

Too high if looked at as just a video camera. We filmmakers tend to do that with DSLRs, but the fact is, they're still cameras first. If you look at the stills features + video features, It's not priced too high. A bit high one can argue, but not really.

Looking strictly as a video camera...way too high, thus the disappointment. The 5D3 isn't Canon's answer to the video DSLR demand. Their C-DSLR coming this year is. I thought they made that clear when they announced a cinema line.

I think it's important to make this distinction. It's not strictly made for us.

The $4,000 - $10,000 range will be where the mid-range pro cameras will be. The C-DSLR will most likely fall between there. We want so much for such a low price. I don't think, at least not now, we will get a camera with all the features we want for under $4,000. Just doesn't make sense to me.

We deal with the short comings of DSLRs because they produce great images and are cheap. However, if you want the amazing video features, expect to pay more. The 5D2 was over $2,000. I expect the C-DSLR to at least double that.

The C300 and F3 is on the same level. Hopefully Canon creates the C-DSLR to be on the same level as the FS100. $5,000 is reasonable if they add the features we see in cameras like the FS100 and keep a body like a DSLR. I think Canon is going to try and put the C-DSLR in the FS100 price point. That's my guess based on wishful thinking  ::)

[quote author=Shawn_Lights link=topic=368.msg2317#msg2317 date=1331142493]
The $4,000 - $10,000 range will be where the mid-range pro cameras will be. The C-DSLR will most likely fall between there. We want so much for such a low price. I don't think, at least not now, we will get a camera with all the features we want for under $4,000. Just doesn't make sense to me.

We deal with the short comings of DSLRs because they produce great images and are cheap. However, if you want the amazing video features, expect to pay more. The 5D2 was over $2,000. I expect the C-DSLR to at least double that.

The C300 and F3 is on the same level. Hopefully Canon creates the C-DSLR to be on the same level as the FS100. $5,000 is reasonable if they add the features we see in cameras like the FS100 and keep a body like a DSLR. I think Canon is going to try and put the C-DSLR in the FS100 price point. That's my guess based on wishful thinking  ::)
[/quote]

Then they can keep it :)
What will sell more a $700-800 DSRL with a GH2 video (apparently easy to do and not pricey, the hacked GH1 is still better than the Canons!!) with same things the 600D has or an expensive $10k video camera???

With every passing day i'm being swayed more and more towards the D800!  It just appears to me that it's closer to a full frame GH2.  The crop mode.  The clean HDMI out!!!  Nikon actually listened!  That's huge IMO.  We still have to see exactly what both cameras really look like, but it's edge to Nikon IMO right now.  I wish the GH3 was also being released cuz that would be a very interesting comparison.

• Administrators
[quote author=Shawn_Lights link=topic=368.msg2317#msg2317 date=1331142493]We deal with the short comings of DSLRs because they produce great images and are cheap. However, if you want the amazing video features, expect to pay more. The 5D2 was over $2,000. I expect the C-DSLR to at least double that.[/quote]

It really does depend, market and tech both moving so fast. GH2 is utterly mind-blowing for the price.

• Administrators
[quote author=sandro link=topic=368.msg2326#msg2326 date=1331152731]
Do we have 1080p videos from the D800 yet?
[/quote]

Yes and they are as soft as 5D but with awful aliasing and moire. HDMI output on that camera might be a different bag.

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=368.msg2330#msg2330 date=1331154588]
[quote author=sandro link=topic=368.msg2326#msg2326 date=1331152731]
Do we have 1080p videos from the D800 yet?
[/quote]

Yes and they are as soft as 5D but with awful aliasing and moire. HDMI output on that camera might be a different bag.
[/quote]

That's what I thought...