Suport for lens

enny

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
To elaborate, I followed this pretty closely: cooking anamorphic on Vimeo

The only difference is I didn't remove the front element from the front enclosure. I cut the middle section of the Bausch & Lomb out. I wrapped the back element in a thick tape and mounted it in a Canon tripod collar for the 100mm macro. I mounted this tripod collar on a piece of threaded 15mm rod that belongs to my Gini Rig. I placed a 1/4" 5" threaded bolt through the 15mm rod and clamped the collar down with a small pipe clamp. I used several different rig pieces to place the rod in front of the taking lens. I spin the back element until all flares in the Live View appear horizontal. The front, larger element was a bit more tricky. I purchased this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/281126828459?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649) moved the bottom tripod mount up to the top to stack the camera mounting point a bit higher. The second tripod collar wasn't quite large enough so I cut the top 2/3s of the tripod collar out. I clamped the front element as well as I could and mounted it on the above ebay mount. I mounted all of this on my rig and placed it on some legs. I placed an LED light on a table, got focus, and began rotation the elements until both the light is in focus, and the flares are horizontal. Tada! Now I can slide the front element back and forth on the rods of my rig to get focus with the anamorphic and use the taking lens to refine the focus.

Edit: I also secured the cut tripod collar to the ebay mount with a pipe clamp to be sure that it didn't wiggle anywhere.

So cutting it up will make it focus closer? how close that vimeo claims  30cm close. It sounds promising but i wqas thinking of buying some close up diopters.

tferradans you don't sound like you agree with cutting?

So cutting it up will make it focus closer? how close that vimeo claims  30cm close. It sounds promising but i wqas thinking of buying some close up diopters.

tferradans you don't sound like you agree with cutting?

Cutting it up allows me to get the elements closer together which is the issue.

So top get this clear before i do anything when the elements are closer together, i will be able to focus closer now with my lens i can focus about 10 to 12 ft which sucks. when this modification is done can you still focus to infinity?

Thanks

think carefully ! the front and back elements of the anamorphic lens have to be EXACTLY alligned to within a 1/1000 of a degree or you image will be soft and not in focus - how are you going to allign the elements correctly after you have cut it in half!! this is a critical thing for the lens to be sharp

If I had to work with such big and heavy lens, I wouldn't think twice before cutting it up. Of course, I would feel more comfortable doing it if I didn't pay a lot for the lens.

Be careful too when close focusing, since it will change the stretch factor. This is a common report about these cases.

Check this one:

https://vimeo.com/43590845

So top get this clear before i do anything when the elements are closer together, i will be able to focus closer now with my lens i can focus about 10 to 12 ft which sucks. when this modification is done can you still focus to infinity?
Thanks

I can still get infinity focus.

I only paid $150 for the B&L so cutting it wasn't an issue.