MFT Speed Booster adapted to Sony E-mount?

timpy

Hi guys,

I was wondering if you could adapt the new MFT SB to be used on a Sony E-mount camera using one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-Four-Thirds-4-3-M43-lens-to-Sony-E-NEX-5-adapter-/180840630768?hash=item2a1af109f0

I have a sony nex 5n and also preordered the BMPCC so I was curious about using the same SB for both cameras. But I am not sure if the image circle projected by the MFT SB will cover the 5n sensor. Do you guys know if this is possible?

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

it will work in theory.  and assuming the adaptor is the correct thickness to account for ffd difference you'll be fine. however, it looks like it might be a while before they release the SB in mft.  metabones should have developed the mft version first,with intention of simply using a method such as you suggest above to allow use on nex/e-mount aswell.

Thanks for replying. Yeah, nobody wants to spend $900 in 2 speed booster! I ask because apparently the optic element is different to the E-mount version and thought it could be designed to cover a smaller sensor...  Maybe Andrew knows this?

metabones should have developed the mft version first,with intention of simply using a method such as you suggest above to allow use on nex/e-mount aswell.

Don't they have different optical designs, optimised for the sensor format?

Anyway, the Nikon G > MFT speed booster has just been released:

http://www.metabones.com/product/micro-43/nikon-g-mft-speed-booster-detail

No idea if it works on E-mount with said adapter. Try and let us know ;)

Absolutely not an expert, but I believe I read somewhere that while it was ok to use mft lenses on nex (with heavy vignetting), it doesn't work the other way, so yes, technically it may work, but you are likely to get vignetting.

If I understand correctly, Nikon Lens -> m43 speedbooster (for Nikon lens) -> Nex

My guess is you will experience vignetting, but it may depend on how wide your lens is and what aperture you use it at as well. I have looked for solutions both ways, and nothing really positive came up on the web..