Flares without the source light

elubes

Hi,

Had questions about flares. 

1) Is there some technique to get a bunch of flares without seeing the actual source of the light or having it come anywhere near the frame?  Are some of these DP's spotting a mini dedo/beam from far away who's sole purpose is just for flares?  I think it was Punch Drunk Love where there's a lot of flare, but I don't remember seeing the source of the light in many of the shots. 

2) And then the other thing is when I'm testing my own anamorphics, the source light just off frame produces an intense purple flare (almost opaque) at the frames edge in addition to the normal flares I'm used to.  Where's that purple flare coming from?  My anamorphic or the taking lens?  I was using a Helios and a Kowa 16-S.

Thanks so much!

Erik

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2) And then the other thing is when I'm testing my own anamorphics, the source light just off frame produces an intense purple flare (almost opaque) at the frames edge in addition to the normal flares I'm used to.  Where's that purple flare coming from?  My anamorphic or the taking lens?  I was using a Helios and a Kowa 16-S.

Hey Erik!

Kowas and Sankors are particularly famous for their vignetting when light sources are pointed directly inside it, because the inner parts of the body reflect the light and end up showing in the frame.

(please, correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading about this on another thread, and getting results from personal testing)

Yes, you're right. My Kowa "reverse vignettes" (as I like to call it, because it is a vignette, but light white, not dark). If you don't like those, use a longer taking lens. But even Panavision anamorphics have those ghost vignettes. I actually kinda like them. Very distinct, and it creates a unique frame which is great for practicing unorthodox composition. 

As far as the purple flares are concerned, I haven't found any good answer anywhere, but I've experienced them as well, and not just with Anamorphic, but with most any lens at wide apertures. They're pretty particular in that the light source has to be in a fairly precise position in order for them to happen. 

As for flares from out of frame, you've just got to experiment. A bright, focused light is the most important part of the equation, but wide aperture and a slightly longer lens would both be good ideas as well, I think.