Intensity Pro 4K - help with 4k workflow needed

mirekti

It seems I am really struggling with understanding the correct setup for my workstation:

1. Footage 4k 10 bit
2. Davinci Resolve Timeline 1080p/24fps
3. Video Monitoring in Davinci 4k 10bit. (Not sure if this upsamples my downsampled footage from the timeline, and I should actually use either 1080p as output or switch the timeline to 4k too).

Per Tech spec Intensity Pro 4K

HDMI Color Precision: 8, 10-bit (Deep Color) RGB 4:4:4 in all modes up to 1080p60, 8, 10-bit YUV 4:2:2 in all modes.
HDMI Configuration: HDMI 1.4b supports Deep Color and automatically configures to connected display.

If I connect HDMI port from the card to 10 bit monitor, will it be actually using 10 bit if the output is set to 4k? If I understood the tech spec it wouldn't.
So in order to use 10 bit color I should keep the Davinci output at 1080p, and only export in 4k in the Deliver page? I am trying to justify purchase of 4k reference monitor, but it makes no sense if I will be using it at 1080p.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm not sure that anyone here uses the BM output devices..

I looked at buying one a while ago and posted a specific question on the BM forums and no-one relied there either.  I suspect the people who know aren't on the forums talking about it :(

11 hours ago, mirekti said:

If I connect HDMI port from the card to 10 bit monitor, will it be actually using 10 bit if the output is set to 4k? If I understood the tech spec it wouldn't.
So in order to use 10 bit color I should keep the Davinci output at 1080p, and only export in 4k in the Deliver page? I am trying to justify purchase of 4k reference monitor, but it makes no sense if I will be using it at 1080p.

Are you delivering in 4K 10-bit?

If so then I understand your question.  If not then maybe you edit in 1080/10 and then when reviewing the final project maybe switch to 4K/8 ?  I have no idea how easy it is to switch, so that might not be a viable solution.  

In terms of editing, I was thinking that 1080 should be sufficient, and you can always zoom in to get a temporary view of the extra pixels.

I was going to configure my setup so that the computer connected to the monitor via the DisplayPort input and the BM output device connected to the monitor via HDMI, and then I'd be able to change what the monitor did by just changing inputs.  Of course, this would mean that when you've got the monitor in 4K mode being driven by the computer directly it wouldn't be colour managed by BM so the accuracy may be off.