Video export question.

Ricardo Constantino

Hello all,

I'm editing C200 raw files for the first time and now I'm kinda in a pain in the ass situation.

The total size of the files were close to 1TB, so I edited with proxies and then linked the raw files for export, all this was done on a WD Elements 4TB Desktop External Drive.

I use a Windows 10 desktop with these specs:

Intel Core i7 - 5820k @ 3.3Ghz

16GB of Ram

Nvidia GTX 960

The project has some Boris Sapphire Plugins, plus minor Colorgrade, now the problem is that I can't just export anything at all... I was asked for a 4K export but I keep getting errors from Sapphire saying that my GPU couldn't render a certain effect and that it was going to use CPU.

On top of that, when exporting my CPU keeps hitting 100% and GPU close to 85% on task manager.

I tried to overclock my Nvidia but I'm afraid that it might burn.

So the question now is, should I buy a Samsung 1TB SSD T5, migrate the project and export from that, or should I update something on my desktop?

I'm hoping the problem is the WD hard drive that isn't capable of processing everything.

Thanks in advance.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What software are you using? Tbh, I would be surprised if a slow HDD was the root of your problems if it tells you the GPU is incapable of an effect.

Can you tell which frame is causing issues? ie is it always crashing on a specific part of the render? If so, can you preview that particular frame, or even export it as a single image? If so, then my guess (and this is only a guess!) is that it's a bug--maybe sapphire has a memory leak such that when rendering, it eventually runs out of RAM and bogs down. If that's the case, then no amount of hardware changes would solve anything. However, you may be able to get around it.

In my experience, effects-heavy sequences fail to export more often than not. I usually export as an image sequence. That way, if it crashes on frame 30,000, you only need to debug one frame, and you won't have to render the first 29,999 frames again. And if it's a memory leak bogging a long render, then you won't have any issues at all. At the end, you can stitch the image sequence together with minimal system strain. Of course, for a long project this would require a LOT of disk space, but if you're considering a new SSD anyway it may be worth it.

@KnightsFan is right, but to re-emphasise, this isn't a hardware problem.

When you're rendering video, it doesn't need to happen in real-time.  I frequently export projects at anything down to 1 frame-per-second, and the HDD, CPU, GPU, etc all just chug along at whatever speeds they can manage and eventually the export is complete.  YouTubers often talk about rendering out their 10-minute videos taking an hour.