How do I make hideous graphics like this?

kaylee

I'm thinking after effects, what would you guys recommend?

Im making a logo intro something like this stuff. not as complex, transparent background so it can go over video

basically making the type logo a deeply extruded 3d object with lots of gimmicks lol

something like whats here just after 2:05

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x776o6

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

After Effects is the obvious choice. The easiest way to go about this is to buy a stock After Effects project template, take it into After Effects and then customizing it to fit your own vision, logos and video.

Here is an example....

https://s3.envato.com/h264-video-previews/492678.mp4

...but there are literally thousands to choose from.

You would have to be pretty brave, skilled and have a lot of time to do it yourself in After Effects from scratch.

If it were me, I'd probably use a variety of programs to use the strongest tools of each. I'd animate the text in Blender (or the 3D package of your choice), as well as some of the other solid, static "hero" elements the camera mainly just circles around. For example, the room and chain at 0:16 in the embedded youtube video. I'd prefer to do objects like this in a legit 3D package, because they can be modelled easily, have few moving parts, and I don't want to fight a software layout designed primarily for compositing.

After rendering out the 3D parts--possible in a few layers or maybe a separate Z-depth render, I'd bring those into After Effects or another compositor.

There are some 2D elements which I'd do the compositor, on top of the 3D renders. Elements that either don't require much perspective change, or are particle based (fireworks, smoke) are usually easier to fake in 2D than to simulate fully. The asteroid field from the dailymotion link, and the planet in the background would also be in AE.

Some of the foreground elements, such as the trees at 0:30 in the YouTube video, can be sourced from real photos of trees and then composited in.

If I was feeling adventurous, I'd use Fusion instead of After Effects. I've never used Fusion on anything complex, but AE is an unintuitive mess, so I'd love to give Fusion a spin.

Remember that little things, such as proper motion blur, will help sell it. Depending on how well you want it to match camera footage, you could compress it in H.264, add noise, or something like that before use.