Camera movement in beautiful travel films?

kye

For those of you who shoot (or are connoisseurs of) beautiful travel films, what types of movement do you prefer them to contain?

I recently binge-watched a couple of hours of BMPCC travel films and I noticed that the vibe was quite distinctive, partly because the lack of stabilisation meant that most shots were static.

What mix of freeform movement vs controlled movements (pans / tilts) vs static shots do people think suits the genre the most?

I shoot mostly travel / home videos and the vibe I'm going for is kind of like the nicest version of real-life - in the same way that you'd take holiday photos using the best light / best angles / nicest smiles to create the warmest memories.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well I think the object of a travel video is to.. travel, to show movement, even if it is somewhat erratic. Now I a not into the 8mm jerky as heck stuff, but I don't think perfection is the goal either.

I think more of a Monopod look than a tripod look. Sure Gimbals are big now, but I don't  like them overdone either. They have their place, but not using it for the whole time.

On 7/21/2018 at 9:32 PM, webrunner5 said:

Well I think the object of a travel video is to.. travel, to show movement, even if it is somewhat erratic. Now I a not into the 8mm jerky as heck stuff, but I don't think perfection is the goal either.

I think more of a Monopod look than a tripod look. Sure Gimbals are big now, but I don't  like them overdone either. They have their place, but not using it for the whole time.

I agree with you about the 8mm jerky look not being desirable, and considering that I'd rather keep a small setup that doesn't attract attention that's why I've opted for image stabilisation.  That shake was probably the one thing that I disliked about the BMPCC films I watched.

What is the monopod look?  What kind of camera movement does it have?  Is it a gentle but smooth movement perhaps?

17 hours ago, kye said:

I agree with you about the 8mm jerky look not being desirable, and considering that I'd rather keep a small setup that doesn't attract attention that's why I've opted for image stabilisation.  That shake was probably the one thing that I disliked about the BMPCC films I watched.

What is the monopod look?  What kind of camera movement does it have?  Is it a gentle but smooth movement perhaps?

Well you can do some amazing stuff with a Monopod. And yeah, it is probably Never going to be still like a tripod. I have one of those Manfrotto ones with a trigger on the shaft that you can change height in a heart beat. Not the newer one worth the feet on it. I am not sure I would ever trust a Monopod to stand there with 3 grand of stuff hanging on it LoL. But if I had to do it over again I would buy one with the feet. It came be a lot more stable like the bottom video shows.

This video shows what you can do and this other one also. There is even more you can do. Just look up more videos on the subject.