Hardware for 10 bit HDR/HLG

UncleBobsPhotography

The more I read about HDR the more confused I am about the actual hardware requirements to play 10 bit HDR. I don't need the highest brightness or blackest black, but I want to be able to create HLG videos and judge the results. I know the big HDR thread touched on this, but I would like a simple list of requirements to deliver HDR output. My guess is that I need a 10 bit monitor with some kind of dynamic range claim, a graphics card capable of outputting 10 bit video and a cable capable of connecting the two.

Monitor: I guess getting a 10 bit HDR10 monitor would suffice. 

Graphics card: I have an Intel Iris Plus 650 graphics card. Is this card capable of outputting a 10 bit signal or would I need an external graphics card? I have tried searching the internet, but I have become none the wiser.

Cable: I will try to get a Thunderbolt 3 monitor, so I'm sure the cable will not be a problem. Is there anything I would have to look out for if I go for HDMI?

Any settings in Windows/MacOS I have to enable to get 10 bit output?

Input from anyone with actual HDR experience would be highly appreciated.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

The more I read about HDR the more confused I am about the actual hardware requirements to play 10 bit HDR. I don't need the highest brightness or blackest black, but I want to be able to create HLG videos and judge the results. I know the big HDR thread touched on this, but I would like a simple list of requirements to deliver HDR output. My guess is that I need a 10 bit monitor with some kind of dynamic range claim, a graphics card capable of outputting 10 bit video and a cable capable of connecting the two.

Monitor: I guess getting a 10 bit HDR10 monitor would suffice. 

Graphics card: I have an Intel Iris Plus 650 graphics card. Is this card capable of outputting a 10 bit signal or would I need an external graphics card? I have tried searching the internet, but I have become none the wiser.

Cable: I will try to get a Thunderbolt 3 monitor, so I'm sure the cable will not be a problem. Is there anything I would have to look out for if I go for HDMI?

Any settings in Windows/MacOS I have to enable to get 10 bit output?

Input from anyone with actual HDR experience would be highly appreciated.

First of all, this topic belongs in the HDR thread so we don't have multiple threads, making it even more difficult for those looking for information. There are next to no affordable true HDR monitors out there at the moment, and what there is is super expensive. If you don't need the blackest blacks or the brightest whites, then you really don't need HDR, because that's what HDR is about, aside from the extra color space. Anyhow, the least expensive way at the moment for monitoring during grading is to pick up one of the  Atomos monitor/recorders. It's not ideal, but neither is shelling out $35,000 for a Sony OLED. If you're on a PC, you might need a TB enclosure like Akitio, which will run a couple hundred dollars, and something like the Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor, which runs a couple hundred or less. You'll probably want to pick up the Shogun Inferno if you're on a Mac, since it'll only work with the SDI outputs, not HDMI. Which i/o you get will also depend on which NLE you're using. 

4 hours ago, jonpais said:

If you don't need the blackest blacks or the brightest whites, then you really don't need HDR, because that's what HDR is about, aside from the extra color space. 

What I mean is that I want a monitor good enough to judge if the footage looks correct on HDR monitors. I probably don't need 10.000 nits for that, and I can probably get away with a monitor without true black-OLED. I actually have a laptop with an OLED screen as well, but I have no idea if it supports 10 bit HLG. I haven't seen any HDR option on youtube, so I guess it doesn't.

If you're on a PC, you might need a TB enclosure like Akitio, which will run a couple hundred dollars, and something like the Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor, which runs a couple hundred or less. You'll probably want to pick up the Shogun Inferno if you're on a Mac, since it'll only work with the SDI outputs, not HDMI. Which i/o you get will also depend on which NLE you're using. 

So I will need an Akitio because the Iris 650 don't support 10 bit output? Or is there another reason? I am using Adobe Premiere, I've got it running both in high Sierra and Windows 10, so can use either operating system.

First of all, this topic belongs in the HDR thread so we don't have multiple threads, making it even more difficult for those looking for information.

Sorry about that, I couldn't find the old HDR thread, which I guess proves your point that it's already hard enough for those looking for information.

18 minutes ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

What I mean is that I want a monitor good enough to judge if the footage looks correct on HDR monitors. I probably don't need 10.000 nits for that, and I can probably get away with a monitor without true black-OLED. I actually have a laptop with an OLED screen as well, but I have no idea if it supports 10 bit HLG. I haven't seen any HDR option on youtube, so I guess it doesn't.

So I will need an Akitio because the Iris 650 don't support 10 bit output? Or is there another reason? I am using Adobe Premiere, I've got it running both in high Sierra and Windows 10, so can use either operating system.

Sorry about that, I couldn't find the old HDR thread, which I guess proves your point that it's already hard enough for those looking for information.

I can tell you for sure that you won’t be grading HDR footage in Premiere.

8 minutes ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

Good to know. If the free version of Resolve supports HDR then it's not really an issue.

I can recommend you read the following blog post and others so you’ll know what you’re getting into.