MixPre 3 Timecode Question

HockeyFan12

3 hours ago, HockeyFan12 said:

But the flip side is also exactly my point, I won't be making money directly on any of this, so paying for a proper crew isn't on the table either. :/

You'll likely find the Tascam DR60Dmk2 perfectly ok, if you're not using TC or wireless, for such ultra low budget shoots. So long as you have a boom op who knows what he is doing (although of course that is true for all gear). 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks! You saved me a lot of money.

I spent some of it it already on a backpack for the sound gear, but I needed that already. I'm using wired lavs (to separate recorders) so no wireless and no Timecode. 

Unfortunately for me lol. I'd better not shoot too many takes because syncing will not be fun. 

4 hours ago, HockeyFan12 said:

I'm using wired lavs (to separate recorders)

Tascam DR10L, or something similar?

4 hours ago, HockeyFan12 said:

I'd better not shoot too many takes because syncing will not be fun. 

Maybe you do need Timecode then?

Or at least use PluralEyes, or something similar built into your NLE already.

9 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Tascam DR10L, or something similar?

Maybe you do need Timecode then?

Or at least use PluralEyes, or something similar built into your NLE already.

Not even. Just these:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1136079-REG/sennheiser_clip_mic_clip_mic_digital.html?ap=y&c3api=1876%2C92051678762%2C%2C&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_4aLj6DE2gIVBwdpCh1DiwM-EAQYASABEgLmMfD_BwE

And iPhones... the sound quality is surprisingly very good, everything else about the user experience is not. Then again, I guess Apogee makes nice gear that works well with Sennheiser gear? I used to listen to one of their DACs and HD650s at work and they paired well.

Definitely a real nightmare to sync three or more separate sources, but it's not like timecode sync is perfectly reliable (had lots of issues with drift, things coming undone, etc.). I'm used to syncing sound manually from my 16mm days, but I never shot a feature on 16mm and then we were only syncing one recorder, not three or more... and we shot very minimal coverage due to the cost of film.

What about running sound straight to the camera (using the Tascam as a Mixer, not a recorder) for anything other than Ronin shots? (Which would be synced via dumb slate.) The C100's preamps sound... about as good as the Tascam's...

Does PluralEyes even work reliably for Lavs? Isn't the placement so different that it would have trouble syncing?

Someone at PluralEyes should include optional transcription software in their next release so whatever the second AC says (Scene 1, Take 1, etc.) gets labeled as such in the file name (with each recorder somehow differentiated) and the in point for each clip is set to the slate hitting shortly after. 

2 hours ago, HockeyFan12 said:

but it's not like timecode sync is perfectly reliable (had lots of issues with drift, things coming undone, etc.)

Which timecode boxes, recorders, and cameras were you using together?

Does PluralEyes even work reliably for Lavs? Isn't the placement so different that it would have trouble syncing?

Loud peaks such as slates means it can work its magic, but yeah if the scene is so quiet then nothing is being picked up on the other mics than the key one then yup it might struggle

Someone at PluralEyes should include optional transcription software in their next release so whatever the second AC says (Scene 1, Take 1, etc.) gets labeled as such in the file name (with each recorder somehow differentiated) and the in point for each clip is set to the slate hitting shortly after. 

I was just chatting with a friend recently that this would be handy!

Whoa, they're more expensive than a Tascam DR10L, or got them on sale?

32 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Which timecode boxes, recorders, and cameras were you using together?

Loud peaks such as slates means it can work its magic, but yeah if the scene is so quiet then nothing is being picked up on the other mics than the key one then yup it might struggle

I was just chatting with a friend recently that this would be handy!

Whoa, they're more expensive than a Tascam DR10L, or got them on sale?

Wasn't my department, but... if I remember correctly, Alexa, 7XX or 6XX sound devices recorder, Denecke slate. This was usually pretty reliable, a bit of drift and occasional problems where it would just go totally out of sync. Where we had a lot of problems was with the Sony F5 until we added lock it boxes, and then performance closer to the Alexa. 

We should email Red Giant, then! Or doesn't Premiere have a similar feature to Plural eyes but also include transcription? Maybe it's something Adobe would be better-suited to address...

Another interesting option would be timecode sync over wifi or bluetooth.... sync whenever it's in range and then run on the internal clock when it's not. 

14 hours ago, HockeyFan12 said:

Wasn't my department, but... if I remember correctly, Alexa, 7XX or 6XX sound devices recorder, Denecke slate. This was usually pretty reliable, a bit of drift and occasional problems where it would just go totally out of sync.

Can't rule out user error then. (such as not using TC boxes, which sounds likely)

Where we had a lot of problems was with the Sony F5 until we added lock it boxes, and then performance closer to the Alexa. 

0% surprised you had issues without TC boxes on them. As this is true for many many many camera. (close enough to just say "all")

Another interesting option would be timecode sync over wifi or bluetooth.... sync whenever it's in range and then run on the internal clock when it's not. 

This exists, I own it, they call it :Blink Network

https://www.timecodesystems.com/products-home/blink/

https://support.timecodesystems.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001332745--wave-and-the-BLINK-Network

https://www.timecodesystems.com/products-home/blink-hub/