Artist as Owner

User

I've been producing/ directing a challenging long haul project and with its completion will be somewhat concerned around issues of distribution piracy. Moreover, I think we would all agree that the artist should own and profit from their work first, not the bastards in the middle or at the top.

I'm curious to know if there are others here who are watching the implementation of blockchain tech to somehow help?

I just learned of this: https://lbry.io/what

Anyone have any thoughts or experience?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

With online distribution it becomes very challenging, next to impossible to stop piracy. And if you can even track it down you then have to have the money for arbitration costs.

When you sign on to a network it becomes their IP and they have their boardroom full of lawyers to assist in protecting their IP. On the bright side, you get your check and/or royalty, not to mention any new projects that spawn from that exposure.  It seems as if losing strict control over your IP is almost the new norm. I mean even the big media networks can't stop it.

That being said, piracy is still very much illegal in most countries so technically speaking the laws still protect you. 

https://www.bradley.com/insights/publications/2012/03/international-copyright-protection-how-does-it-w__

On 2/21/2018 at 2:27 AM, User said:

I've been producing/ directing a challenging long haul project and with its completion will be somewhat concerned around issues of distribution piracy. Moreover, I think we would all agree that the artist should own and profit from their work first, not the bastards in the middle or at the top.

I'm curious to know if there are others here who are watching the implementation of blockchain tech to somehow help?

I just learned of this: https://lbry.io/what

Anyone have any thoughts or experience?

The trouble with this is if they go belly up does your stuff go with it? Food for thought. That is the problem with encrypted stuff.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

The trouble with this is if they go belly up does your stuff go with it? Food for thought. That is the problem with encrypted stuff.

Well, as a producer, 'they' wouldn't have the only copy. Encrypted or otherwise.

Besides, blockchain tech ensures that all of the files that make up a film are stored across many storage drives and STRICTLY accounted for. Though no doubt some Russian kid is going to put the kung fu to this soon enough.

But I do know a case where a traditional documentary distribution company crashed and the legal rights to the film took some time to sort out.