GH4/GH5 users: i'm going crazy here

freeman

Hey guys, got a question for all the gh4/5 people out there. I am going insane trying to find how to turn off my Direct Focus Area crop marks. You can see them in the center of the screen (white crop marks and green plus in center of screen) I want this box gone! But how? I can move it around the screen and I can make is smaller or larger but cant seem to just get rid of it. Used to have the same problem on the GH4 

IMG_1954.JPG

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Custom menu top of page 3.

You probably also want your shutter set to 1/50 or 1/48 if the GH5 can do it (2x your frame rate). Unless you're looking for a specific effect or don't have an ND handy (exposure tuning).

19 minutes ago, freeman said:

Top of page 3 is function button settings and dial settings (on the GH5 at least) What menu item are you referring to?

Also dont worry about the shutter its whatever it happened to be when I took the photo.

That's for the GH4 (no GH5 here): have you gone through all the menu settings, searched the PDF manuals?

17 minutes ago, jcs said:

That's for the GH4 (no GH5 here): have you gone through all the menu settings, searched the PDF manuals?

I feel like I have tried everything. From what I remember on the GH4 this box is called "Direct Focus Area" but there is no longer a direct focus area menu option on the Gh5.

Yes, when I switch to AFS/AFF and AFC modes the box appears a little bit taller, however I can't get rid of it. No matter what when I switch to any adapted lens that is MF this box stays. Have you gotten rid of it on your GH4 in Manual focus mode?

1 minute ago, freeman said:

Yes, when I switch to AFS/AFF and AFC modes the box appears a little bit taller, however I can't get rid of it. No matter what when I switch to any adapted lens that is MF this box stays. Have you gotten rid of it on your GH4 in Manual focus mode?

Goes way with menu option as noted and when in AFC mode (when enabled in menu).

1 hour ago, freeman said:

Can you get the box to go away when in MF mode? (when using adapted lenses, I assume you are using a native lens to enable AFC?)

The box stays up in MF mode (using native lens).

Searching for Direct Focus Area found this: https://***URL removed***/forums/thread/3677576

Yes, you can.  The best way to set it up, in my opinion, is to turn on "Direct Focus Area" in the Custom menu (p.3).  With that active, using an AF lens, you can use the four-way cursor buttons move the magnified view once you've started to turn the focus ring.  With an MF lens, you can just hit one of the cursor buttons to call up the movable focus box and then hitting the menu/set button brings up the magnified view which can be moved around with the cursor buttons.

Once you have the magnified view, rolling the rear dial adjusts the zoom range.  If you roll the four-way button dial you will switch from the magnified inset view to a full screen magnified view.

See last post here; might help: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?325388-Turning-off-focus-pinpoint

But on my G85, when selecting Direct Focus Area, you lose the other functionalities of the four way cursor buttons, including white balance and ISO, which may or may not be more inconvenient than the tiny focus target on the LCD.

1 hour ago, jcs said:

The box stays up in MF mode (using native lens).

Searching for Direct Focus Area found this: https://***URL removed***/forums/thread/3677576

See last post here; might help: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?325388-Turning-off-focus-pinpoint

Thanks for the digging JCS, yes Direct Focus Area is what is being turned on automatically when I mount any adapted lens with manual focus. I guess panasonic are right in assuming that when mounting manual focus glass you will want the Direct Focus Area tool working.

My desire was eliminate everything off of my composition screen. Unfortunately it looks like I just can't get rid of this manual focus box. (at least when using manual focus only lenses) When I mount my olympus 12mm which can utilize AF I found some options change. I can now select which kind of AF mode I want, and I found that indeed selecting the 225 point AF area will remove the box (the center cross still stays, but.. OK) However, the second I unmount the lens the little Direct Focus Area box comes back. At this point I have literally tried everything. I guess I still could be missing something, but i'm fairly certain that when using an MF lens, this box pops up automatically with no option to hide it. 

Silver lining, in my intense digging I discovered as Jonpais said the four directions on the rear wheel can be configured as 4 additional custom buttons! (for anyone wondering, pressing DISP in the "Fn Button Set" brings up options to configure the wheel as a 4 way D-pad like button, and on the GH5 the new thumb nub can have itself configured as a 4 way) I find that pretty damn cool even though I'm running out of needs to configure haha.