NAB 2012 - any new panasonic rumours?

Leang

It just seems about right at the moment with other competitors jumping in.  even if there was a GH3 of some sort what would we expect?  I can buy two GH2's right now but I don't want to feel bad that in two months something new comes out.  Any opinions?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Remember that it is unlikely that a GH3 will give users some of the things that make the GH2 so great so waiting might not get you that far ahead.

#1.  The GH3 will likely cost more.
#2.  Not likely that the GH3 will run GOP1 and give users access to huge bit rates like the hack does.  It is difficult for a manufacture to tell customers "hey use the camera at this setting but you will only get 8 minutes of footage on an 8 gig memory card."  (though it would be brave of Panasonic to do it - if they can still warranty a camera using such settings)
#3.  Even if it does get hacked it will take at least a year before a Ptools for it is created and decent hacks exist for it.
#4.  Nobody should shoot serious video with only 1 camera anyway - so getting 1 or 2 GH2 units now and supplementing it with a GH3 down the road makes a lot of sense.  I doubt getting the two cameras to produce similar results will be that difficult - people are already using the GH2 to cut between lots of different brands atm.
#5.  Perhaps you can buy one GH2 now and just rent one (under $100 a week) for larger projects that would require a backup.
#6.  Though the value of the GH2 will drop when the GH3 comes out - selling a GH2 won't be difficult.  As a matter of fact GH2 prices "went up" once the hacks improved in quality.
#7.  What happens if the GH3 comes out and it isn't hackable or isn't able to keep up with a hacked GH2?  Might be difficult to get a GH2 at a decent price.
#8.  Canon is getting their I-frame DSLRs ready for market as well if you have the extra cash for a more expensive camera - they will likely trounce Nikon and continue their dominance (though I personally don't care for Canon) unless Panasonic aim MUCH higher - ie pricing a GH3 or a new M4/3s camera in the $2000+ market.

As to what we "could" (or want) expect from a GH3

* Sensor with greater dynamic range
* Increased color gamut
* 60p or 120p at 1080 resolution
* Raw - like a CinemaDNG file output (dream)
* Sensor with improved low light performance
* Higher Res OLED viewfinder and or LCD screen
* Clean HDMI out
* 100% weatherproof design (dream)
* Access to flat color profile picture style

The GH3 is not coming until Photokina according to comments from Panasonic.  So expect rumors in August, announcement in September and released just before Christmas (assuming you can find one).  I picked up a used GH2 a week ago for less than $600 locally.  Decided not to wait.

• 1 month later...
Hi, I am new to this Forum. First of all I want express how much I appreciate your contribution to educating people about the gh2 and its capabilities. I am getting a new camera at the end of the month and this website as like a few others was very helpful in getting a better impression of what kind of camera might be right for me.

Oh and I found this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlUHWDgNF5k

[quote author=Sara link=topic=301.msg1908#msg1908 date=1329817385]

As to what we "could" (or want) expect from a GH3

* Sensor with greater dynamic range
* Increased color gamut
* 60p or 120p at 1080 resolution
* Raw - like a CinemaDNG file output (dream)
* Sensor with improved low light performance
* Higher Res OLED viewfinder and or LCD screen
* Clean HDMI out
* 100% weatherproof design (dream)
* Access to flat color profile picture style[/quote]

You know that with these features it would better every camera under 20 grands, if not 40 grands. Very improbable.

The clean HDMI out we have already. Yes, it remains 8-bit 4:2:0, but it can render all high-bitrate-Intra-hacks obsolete, because it skips the compression part.

Instead of playing with new bitrates, the expert testers should finetune the colors. Magic lantern edited the picture styles, and so it should happen with the filmmodes. Isn't there a way to get access to the curves and to test them thoroughly? Let's stop barking up the wrong tree.

• Administrators
GH3, if this year, will be at Photokina as NAB is not the market for a consumer stills camera, albeit one with a very well integrated video mode - a true hybrid cam.

Panasonic will unveil some new video cameras at NAB based around AVCHD Ultra (12 bit, 4:4:4 codec).