LG 5K monitor settings

Fredrik Lyhne

I bought the new LG 5K display to use with my Macbook Pro mid 2014 and was wondering which profile you guys use for external monitors? As I understand the Adobe RGB 1998 is the norm, but there is also the new Display P3 profile which looks very similar but a little bit more contrasty. 

Why I bough it: I'm fully aware that I will only get 4K and not take full advantage of the new P3 profile since I'm using an "old" Macbook. I'm not sure I want a new MBP or a new iMac when it's released so I will use this monitor for now and decide when the new iMac is released. Since this monitor is 25% through March I figured the loss will be smaller if I decide to sell after a while and if I choose to get a new MBP I already have a great monitor, which is long overdue. It's works to edit on a laptop, but it's a not very ergonomical.

The monitor looks great btw and the image is very nice :)

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

I bought the new LG 5K display to use with my Macbook Pro mid 2014 and was wondering which profile you guys use for external monitors? As I understand the Adobe RGB 1998 is the norm, but there is also the new Display P3 profile which looks very similar but a little bit more contrasty. 

Why I bough it: I'm fully aware that I will only get 4K and not take full advantage of the new P3 profile since I'm using an "old" Macbook. I'm not sure I want a new MBP or a new iMac when it's released so I will use this monitor for now and decide when the new iMac is released. Since this monitor is 25% through March I figured the loss will be smaller if I decide to sell after a while and if I choose to get a new MBP I already have a great monitor, which is long overdue. It's works to edit on a laptop, but it's a not very ergonomical.

The monitor looks great btw and the image is very nice :)

Thanks!

Smart move. I'd been meaning to ask for a while now how you can edit on a laptop, the extra real estate is better, even in 2K. I'd been thinking of getting the LG for my MBPr Touch Bar, but I'm still happy with my iMac 2013. Sorry I can't help answer your question, though.

I'm no colour expert but to the best of my knowledge you should calibrate your external display to Rec709 or SRGB (which is quite similar) for video stuff. If you grade stuff on a display calibrated to Adobe RGB it will look a little washed out when viewed on a TV or on a general PC.

The laptop was not exactly optimal, but since I transcode and use proxies the speed is good enough, and I didn't want to spend until I had to. I probably would have bought a new iMac if it was released in March though, but hopefully I'll be happy with this setup for a while. 

The main reason I wanted a bigger screen is when I looked at my friends iMac and saw the coloring mistakes I made due to the small screen. Lately I've also felt tight in my neck so I decided to splash the cash on the LG.

Do you edit mainly on the iMac or MBP or both? They're pretty different color wise I would assume.

5 minutes ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

The laptop was not exactly optimal, but since I transcode and use proxies the speed is good enough, and I didn't want to spend until I had to. I probably would have bought a new iMac if it was released in March though, but hopefully I'll be happy with this setup for a while. 

The main reason I wanted a bigger screen is when I looked at my friends iMac and saw the coloring mistakes I made due to the small screen. Lately I've also felt tight in my neck so I decided to splash the cash on the LG.

Do you edit mainly on the iMac or MBP or both? They're pretty different color wise I would assume.

I don't really have a consistent method. There were times when I would begin editing on the iMac, then I'd feel the need to get out of the house, so I'd continue editing on the laptop. I'd check the final results and fine-tune things like color, sharpening, etc. on the iMac before uploading to YouTube. Now, I find myself doing more of my videos on the iMac alone. It is just so much easier to see the flaws on a 27" screen, things like camera shake, whether something is truly sharp, everything. The new MacBook Pro has superb color, but since I go to a coffee shop with tungsten lighting, I can't really do any color correction there. And my room has all yellowish walls, so that's not ideal either. But hey, it doesn't matter anyway, since Safari is going to destroy my colors no matter what! :) Anyhow, I realize there  are times when everyone has to edit on a laptop, but given a choice, I'd caution against it. 

I agree. It's chrome that destroys the color though. 

Do you calibrate your screens? If not, what profile do you use? 

1 hour ago, hyalinejim said:

I'm no colour expert but to the best of my knowledge you should calibrate your external display to Rec709 or SRGB (which is quite similar) for video stuff. If you grade stuff on a display calibrated to Adobe RGB it will look a little washed out when viewed on a TV or on a general PC.

I know calibration is the best way to go, but I was wondering what profiles people who don't calibrate use. According to iMore.com the LG is supposed to come calibrated from factory to match other Macs, so I don't think it's a must for hobbyists like me. 

I think you're right about the Adobe RBG profile and after testing a few profiles I will use the LG Ultrafine profile which also is called Display P3. Thanks!