Recommendations wanted: PC CUDA Nvidia card for DaVinci and Adobe

jgharding

Hi all,

I'm currently running an Nvidia Quadro FX3800 in my Windows machine (24GB RAM and a speedy i7) but it doesn't really give me enough punch for final H264 renders, real-time playback of multiple streams AVCHD, and so on.

Does anyone have any recomendations for a good Nvidia card price/performance wise? 

I've had recomendations for a Geforce 580 3GB memory version, but I'm keen to not go out and buy something speedy and find it's incompatable with Adobe and DaVinci,

Any and all help and personal experiences appreciated, friends!

JGx

PS. Also, I like machines to be relatively quiet, as I do a lot of audio work too. If it has three massive fans on it and sounds like a hoover, it's out of the running. Do lemme know how loud yours is! ;)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This was what was recommended to me, and is powerful and quiet! but I'd like some cheaper options too,

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-pov-tgt-gtx-580-beast-40nm-4104mhz-gddr5-gpu-855mhz-shader-1710mhz-512-cores-mhdmi

The 590 is about come out with 1024 cores and 3GB RAM, but I'd rather not have to sell an organ...

I have a GTX 660Ti 2GB, it's reasonably quiet (when idle) and rather cheap. The performance of this card is below the 580/590 etc, but the price/performance is quite good. It can be had rather cheap (€250). For me a more expensive card wasn't an option.

A lot of cards aren't officially compatible with Adobe Premiere CS6, the whole GeForce 6 series isn't certified (yet) by Adobe so it won't run GPU accelerated by default, but you can easily fix that by changing a config file. 

Here you can find a lot of benchmarks with different cards:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/277/20501

I'm fairly new to video, grading etc. I haven't done any heavy grading since I got the card, so can't give you the best advice on that.

According to the benchmark topic you can run DaVinci with 4 blur nodes at 24 fps, 8 blur nodes drops to 19 fps. I've never even used the blur node, it's a complicated node that requires a lot of gpu power I think. With a GTX 580 you can run 24 fps with 16 blur nodes. I don't think i'd ever get to that amount of nodes anyway...

I think the Geforce 5 series have about the same power as the 6 series for GPU computing, but the 6 series run with less power, which means less heat = less noise. The 6 series don't use much when idle, you can any of them real quiet if you invest in a good aftermarket cooler I think. I'm running a MSI card with standard double fan. In most reviews it is rated as pretty quiet, but it is the most noisy component of my system (i5 2400 with Scythe cooler, 16GB, 2 HDD's and 1 SSD)

If you're getting a GTX 580/680, also take in account the heavy (and reliable) PSU you'll need. I'm running my GTX 660Ti on Seasonic M12II 520W. When choosing a PSU, don't just look at the watts, the efficiency is more important (80 Plus rating). What PSU do you have now?

If you don't mind the cost and the power consuming, the 580/680 is of course the better choice. If you really need it, I don't know... :-)

Thaks for the tips, I'll have to check the PSU and get back to you. I think it's 800W but I don't know the precise model...

I've not done a lot in DaVinci yet, but the current card doesn't seem to be enough for Premiere with some footage. I'm also editing more Red these days, so more power would be a bonus!

I think the best performance/money ratio is the GTX x70 models (570 or 670). The GTX x60 are way less performant for not that much cheaper. And the GTX x80 are not much better for twice the price. In fact the x70 share the same chip as the x80 but have only 1 of the 16 SM disabled (or like some of you like to call it - crippled).

You sure that it's the graphics card being the bottleneck? It could also be your harddrives if you play several streams at once. 

When it comes to AVCHD and the like, yes, as the disk load for that is rather light but processor overhead is heavy.

For Red and the like, yes I could do with higher disk speed too.