Canon 1DX Mk2 with Smartphone Mini Documentary

DBounce

Filmed this a couple weeks ago using the Canon 1DX Mk2 and a Google Pixel XL on a DJI Osmo Mobile. This combination did prove interesting when it came time to CG the footage. I also forgot that when I filmed with the Canon I used a custom baked in picture profile, so that complicated matters even more. The Canon's files did seem to handle the CG better, as they could take much more processing than what the smartphone footage could. Working with these two very different formats was an eye opening experience. Both had their strengths and weaknesses. Anyway it was a fun project and I'm happy I had the chance to film a little something. Comments welcomed.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Good try and lovely lady and dog.

If I may, you should have done a few more shooting for cutting the interview (e.g film something from a shelter, a bit more play with the dog), and the interview it could be happen somewhere else, than a car (it didn't help the sound either, and didn't play any significant role in the story, you should ask yourself "why this" and "why that" when you do a documentary, decisions mean something usually). Usually try to be in the same level of what you shot (e.g kids, animals) I know it is a small dog, but maybe you should have gone down to the ground for it!

Of course "criticizing" is easier than creating, so take everything I say with a pinch of salt, but is good to hear from people outside the production.

What disadvantages 1DX has versus a mobile phone?!

3 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Good try and lovely lady and dog.

If I may, you should have done a few more shooting for cutting the interview (e.g film something from a shelter, a bit more play with the dog), and the interview it could be happen somewhere else, than a car (it didn't help the sound either, and didn't play any significant role in the story, you should ask yourself "why this" and "why that" when you do a documentary, decisions mean something usually). Usually try to be in the same level of what you shot (e.g kids, animals) I know it is a small dog, but maybe you should have gone down to the ground for it!

Of course "criticizing" is easier than creating, so take everything I say with a pinch of salt, but is good to hear from people outside the production.

What disadvantages 1DX has versus a mobile phone?!

Thanks on both counts. Kisaha, the advice is welcomed. I try to take all that I learn and better my work with it. I think this video was really just about getting out and shooting something. Lately I have not been using my camera as much as I should so this was really more about that than anything. As for the 1DXMk2 vs smartphone... well there are places the 1DXMk2 cannot go or is not really welcomed. Whereas the smartphone sneaks in unnoticed. Weight is another major concern, as is portability. I always have the smartphone on hand. The same cannot be said for my camera. FYI: You're right about the additional shots. But this video is really an improvised work. Dog cam, you are also right and to be honest I really would not have minded a tilting flip out screen for the Canon to help with those low shots.

I thought it was very well done. Dog a little Too Orange in the grass shots, I would assume that was the Smartphone. I think you pulled off something that is damn hard to do, and that is someone speaking from their heart, not from a script, and make it flow like a well Rehearsed script. She is a damn good non actor LoL, and your camera movements kept me concentrated on what she was tying to convey. Impressive.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

I thought it was very well done. Dog a little Too Orange in the grass shots, I would assume that was the Smartphone. I think you pulled off something that is damn hard to do, and that is someone speaking from their heart, not from a script, and make it flow like a well Rehearsed script. She is a damn good non actor LoL, and your camera movements kept me concentrated on what she was tying to convey. Impressive.

Yes, the smartphone lacks the robust codec to really push the grade to any extent. It started to fall apart pretty readily, so I had to change the levels to prevent artifacts from appearing in the shadows. The Doc (the lady) is a great speaker. She was initially shy in front of the camera, however, now she seems very relaxed... and that makes her easy to film. I would love to do more fictional work. It's just hard to get a cast together that can be convincing. All the elements are important. Honestly, the cameras used take a back seat to most of the other stuff. I love seeing a project come to life. It's a magical experience.