Jump to content

Lighting advice -On the cheap


Dustin
 Share

Recommended Posts

I suggest a multi stage approach as the budget allows, starting with the cheapest and most absolute bare essentials:

http://www.came-tv.com/3-x-800w-pro-red-head-redhead-continuous-light-lighting-stands-p-158.html

http://www.came-tv.com/3%C3%83%C2%972000w-220v-yellow-head-continuous-video-studio-photo-lighting-p-172.html

Plus DIY yourself many of these:

http://www.thehurlblog.com/how-to-build-diy-4x4-frames-lighting-education/

And multiple ones of these: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/2025941923.html 



Then for the next stage after that first phase, then you can look at LEDs and HMIs as well. And various other options.

But start with those, as they give you the max bang for your buck (unlike say LEDs). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I suggest a multi stage approach as the budget allows, starting with the cheapest and most absolute bare essentials:

http://www.came-tv.com/3-x-800w-pro-red-head-redhead-continuous-light-lighting-stands-p-158.html

http://www.came-tv.com/3%C3%83%C2%972000w-220v-yellow-head-continuous-video-studio-photo-lighting-p-172.html

Plus DIY yourself many of these:

http://www.thehurlblog.com/how-to-build-diy-4x4-frames-lighting-education/

And multiple ones of these: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/2025941923.html 



Then for the next stage after that first phase, then you can look at LEDs and HMIs as well. And various other options.

But start with those, as they give you the max bang for your buck (unlike say LEDs). 

Ah those do look nice but yes I am taking this in multiple steps. I am getting a head start this year on some LED lights that I've already ordered...the 528S and the H198. Will be ordering a few more of the H198 but will then pickup either some lowel omni lights or the ones you mentioned! Also plan to make a few clamp lights at some point in the year. Appreciate the links! I had viewed the CAME-TV site but hadn't seen the red/yellow head lights.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah redheads and blondes are just infamous for being the ultra cheap lighting stuff to start out with, as they pack a decent amount of punch for very little cost. 

Just remember that while LED's are great, it is a compromise you're making (quality of light / output strength / price vs portability / battery powering / small size / less heat). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Instead of redheads/blondes, look at Source Four Pars. They can be had for $60-80 each, produce excellent light quality, and are extremely versatile. Used Mole fresnels are great too--an industry standard, and so easy to work with.

A lot of people will steer you toward LED, but the fact is that tungsten is cheaper, produces better light quality, and is generally more robust than its LED equivalents. Supplement a few larger lights with paper lanterns and clamp lights, and you should be set up for a wide variety of lighting situations/styles. 1-2 small LED panels can be nice for some run and gun or accents, but most production lighting kits are 90% tungsten.

EDIT: I broke down a lot of my favorite lighting gear in this topic a while back. Most of it is budget-oriented, as I'm writing from the perspective of a student filmmaker.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Instead of redheads/blondes, look at Source Four Pars. They can be had for $60-80 each, produce excellent light quality, and are extremely versatile. Used Mole fresnels are great too--an industry standard, and so easy to work with.

A lot of people will steer you toward LED, but the fact is that tungsten is cheaper, produces better light quality, and is generally more robust than its LED equivalents. Supplement a few larger lights with paper lanterns and clamp lights, and you should be set up for a wide variety of lighting situations/styles. 1-2 small LED panels can be nice for some run and gun or accents, but most production lighting kits are 90% tungsten.

EDIT: I broke down a lot of my favorite lighting gear in this topic a while back. Most of it is budget-oriented, as I'm writing from the perspective of a student filmmaker.

 

Appreciate it man! Like I said I'm planning this in stages but This is the first part. Got the small 198 today and the 528 isn't coming til Monday! Excited!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got the H198 yesterday and my sony battery today. I must say...MAN THIS LITTLE GUY IS BRIGHT!! I can't wait to hopefully shoot some stuff this weekend and put it to use. Was supposed to get my 528S today but darn snow storm or something delayed it til Monday. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dustin said:

Got the H198 yesterday and my sony battery today. I must say...MAN THIS LITTLE GUY IS BRIGHT!! I can't wait to hopefully shoot some stuff this weekend and put it to use. Was supposed to get my 528S today but darn snow storm or something delayed it til Monday. 

Not just bright, but good color too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Dude, check out the used Dracast led lights on ebay - amazing bargains for workhorse lights with high cri. I have 8 of them now (fresnels, panels, on-cam's) and they are amazing output fore the price... dm me for deets (and no, I'm not working for them...)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...