Zeiss primes vs. the modded cine's by LockCircle

Leang

Can anybody testify that the Zeiss Distagon's are some of the best for HD vs. Canon or Nikkor?  Been really thinking of getting a cine kit of the PrimeCircle's.  The Zeiss cine CP.2's cover Full Frame and the extra blades offer a smoother oval bokeh...however, significantly more expensive than the modded Distagon's.

Eventually Full Frame (HD+) video will get better with DSLR's.  So the glass investment is worth it imo.  Hard to decide on the Distagon's vs. the CP2s.  Any links?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The CP2's are just modded versions of the zeiss I think. My opinion is there may be cheaper film lenses The prices are ridiculous A set of Zeiss CP2's with T stops sometimes of 2.8 or higher are riiculous and not much use on a BMC if you want shallow focus. Can a single set cover all formats? Shouldn't the glass be modified to fit the frame size it is intended for.

I wouldn't want to get stuck with £17000 worth of CP2 lenses The price of a nice family car (Ridiculous) only to have better ones come along. The demand is there now as most of us are using larger sensor cameras and need lenses. Although the CP2's are very pretty and would like nice in front of customers I don't believe they are high enough above the Zeiss distagons to warrant the massive price hike.

Personally I'd give them all a miss in the hope Nab might produce something much better.

This is why I mentioned LockCircle.  They are modded Distagons into Cine lenses and are significantly cheaper with supposedly the same glass.  Not interested in the CP.2's.  Of course Zeiss doesn't cover LockCircle.  I read somewhere that a couple of Distagon's don't breath. I'm only interested in full frame atm.

The CP2 lenses are mechanically different than the ZF/ZE lenses, as you said they have at least one extra aperture blade, creating smoother bokeh, and the construction is obviously better and meant for cinema use, but it's up to you to decide if that's worth the price difference for you.

You can get a really nice ZF/ZE lens kit for $5k, just a little more than one single CP2 lens.