Canon 1D X Mark II user reports and 4K crop

Andrew Reid

30 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Yes, and there are two modes, one with only the external lcd active where you can get the full information exactly how it is showed on the internal one. Naturally you can use the joystick to move the autofocus point... The second mode you have both lcds enabled and there you see the camera info only on the embedded lcd and the external get a clean hdmi output, in this mode you can use both the touch on the embedded lcd or the joystick to move the focus. Personally I wish there was the possibility to have the camera info on both lcds at the same time especially for gimbal usage...

Thank you, this is very useful. 

Apart from the SmallHD 501, what other decent 5" monitors are there apart from BM Video Assist? (with zebras, waveform, false colour etc?)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On September, 15, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Oliver Daniel said:

Indeed. 

The main reason I consider a Canon is color, which us why I'm interested in this camera. It's far beyond the Sony A7's (of which I own an A7SII), although lacks key video features. I guess this is something like a SmallHD 501 would sort out. 

The bitrate isn't much of an issue to me - just have a couple of Transcend 256gb Cfast 2 cards and transcode to ProRes straight from the card, deleting the MJPEG masters.

Do you know if external monitors view the live view information overlay (f-stop, shutter, frame rate, autofocus) from the Canon 1DX II? Just wondering if you used the joystick for autofocus, that you could see what you were operationally doing on a monitor too? 

Why transcode to ProRes ?  I tested and is only 10% smaller (using Compressor on Mac). That was with 4k60p. Do you get other results ??