7D Mark II RAW or Micro Cinema Camera

HelsinkiZim

I would like to know what you would decide to purchase if you wanted a camera strictly for its DR purposes and usability.

It is not for documentary or anything run and gun, but controlled set ups. They are paid set ups, so reliability is important.

I like the idea of the 7D because it can be used for other purposes, but the Micro CC is strictly a video only machine.

What things are deal breakers for most of you that use or have used Magic Lantern RAW in the real world?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well you mean 7D or 7DMK2? Because as far as I'm aware MK2 doesn't shoot Raw video and the regular video it shoots is pretty crappy in comparison to a MCC.

I've just started shooting 7D MLraw coming from a GH4 and I'm really happy with it. I don't seem to have many problems with it other than you need a lot of space, I just got some 128GB Lexars now and I'm sorted, really happy to shoot and learn more from this camera.

37 minutes ago, tweak said:

Well you mean 7D or 7DMK2? Because as far as I'm aware MK2 doesn't shoot Raw video and the regular video it shoots is pretty crappy in comparison to a MCC.

I've just started shooting 7D MLraw coming from a GH4 and I'm really happy with it. I don't seem to have many problems with it other than you need a lot of space, I just got some 128GB Lexars now and I'm sorted, really happy to shoot and learn more from this camera.

I am moving from a GH4 myself, well not moving, just looking for a raw b-cam. So how many minutes do you get on 128GB?

1 hour ago, tweak said:

Here's a great page for you - http://rbrune.github.io/mlraw/

I also still use GH4 when I need a faster turnaround or the film like quality isn't as important. I get about 30mins on a 128GB with sound, I have 2 of them (so 60mins). I also got an 500GB external SSD to edit with, so much better than regular HDDs.

ahh, so 1080 resolution is the big sacrifice. Even at mark III level.

1 minute ago, tweak said:

Mark iii can shoot 1080. 7D gets close enough to 1080 in my opinion. If you shoot anamorphic you can also shoot above 1080 with 7D in 4:3 mode.

Are there any record limit times when filming on mark III in Raw? What is the data rate?

If you check that link I posted it will give you that info. It has the max data rate up the top and the selected data rate below (based on your selections).
I'm pretty sure you can continuous record 1080p on 5Diii in Raw.

44 minutes ago, tweak said:

If you check that link I posted it will give you that info. It has the max data rate up the top and the selected data rate below (based on your selections).
I'm pretty sure you can continuous record 1080p on 5Diii in Raw.

Got it, thanks a lot !

I have a 5D Mk3 with Magic Lantern and a Micro Cinema camera. After doing extensive testing I still prefer the 5D. It's less noisy and has more usable dynamic range than the BMMCC. Magic Lantern are working on the 7D Mk2 firmware, but there are no guarantees that it will work.