Legal Advice Music Video

enny

1 hour ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

I've just come to the realisation that I really need to start doing more to find work & have finally gotten off my arse! Got one new client already!

Thiss ! 

Recently I started going every weekend somewhere and shoot something, without any specific reason and then edit a short film with what I shot, my last adventure got me this : 

And its my most viewed video on Vimeo already, so..Just go out and film ! 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

Thiss ! 

Recently I started going every weekend somewhere and shoot something, without any specific reason and then edit a short film with what I shot, my last adventure got me this : 

Really helps when you live in a beautiful country like Portugal (it is Portugal, right?)!

The view from my window this morning was a lovely, pleasing dull grey coupled with plumes of smoke from the taxi garage down below, who were doing their weekly plastic rubbish burn - toxic!

But you're right, film something, anything - just not your cats/dogs!

8 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

Really helps when you live in a beautiful country like Portugal (it is Portugal, right?)!

The view from my window this morning was a lovely, pleasing dull grey coupled with plumes of smoke from the taxi garage down below, who were doing their weekly plastic rubbish burn - toxic!

I'm editing my latest Spain trip video... it has a whole bunch of cats... because there was a whole bunch of cats... am I doomed? Mattias seems to do quite well always filming his cute dog. :grimace:

36 minutes ago, Phil A said:

I'm editing my latest Spain trip video... it has a whole bunch of cats... because there was a whole bunch of cats... am I doomed? Mattias seems to do quite well always filming his cute dog. :grimace:

LOL! You know what I mean! And you've got a "clowder" of cats, you lucky boy, now that's special!

2 hours ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

Hahaha it is Portugal, but this isnt the view from my window, I need to drive for a while to get to some spots (though to be fair, I do have an amazing view form my house...almost everyone does, here). But I do get tired of shooting wildlife, and would love to travel to some heavily populated city and film that...the goal is to find "beauty" in everyday ordinary stuff, even if its someone taking out the trash !

On 3/18/2016 at 7:36 AM, Bioskop.Inc said:

My only advice is to give them the best possible version that you can. After all this is a showcase for your work & what you're capable of doing - its free, I know, but no point in shooting yourself in the foot at this point in time.

Also, if you need more footage for your showreel etc. just do a little short nonsense film - the most hits i've had on Vimeo (apart from a 14sec ML ETTR vid with 24.5k hits) was from an Anamorphic lens test of me making my morning coffee (5K). And then don't do what I did & ignore the number of hits you have!

I've just come to the realisation that I really need to start doing more to find work & have finally gotten off my arse! Got one new client already!

what do you mean don't ignore number of hits? thanks

On 3/17/2016 at 7:58 PM, ricardo_sousa11 said:

Thank you !

Im still struggling to get to bigger clients, even though i've had great feedback from previous work. Last year I did a small music video for a friend, it was literally small so I dont even count it, because there was no budget, and I wasnt taking it too serious, but I did it, and it was ok, at the time I was proud of it, of course, but quickly grew tired. Anyway, when we released the video, I sent a PM via Facebook (unprofessional, but oh well) with that video and a few others, unrelated to music, like events / shortfilms. And from like..10 artists, 8 responded and were interested, out of those 8, only one took the chance and decided to go ahead and do a video...Incredible person, since the first day he said he had 100% sure we would do something that he would love (and he did, and now hes looking forward to do another one). So, now that this one is released, I already have 1 new band that is interested in another music video, so its slowly picking up.

My advice is (if it means anything, because im not really that experient in music videos) is, after you have 1 music video and 1 or 2 other works, make a portfolio and be pro-active, and send it to startup bands, that you think can afford a music video. You dont have to charge a lot for your first jobs, but please do get payed, it makes everyone care more...them because they are paying for your time, and you because you're getting payed for it.

Also be honest...When I was talking to this client I said "For music videos, I havent done much (he had seen my previous, and totally loved it), so my price is according to what I think is fair in this stage and time." and he totally agreed based on that previous video, and other non-music related videos he had seen...he understood my style and how I did things, so it was great.

Thanks for that info man if i can ask this you don't have to tell me what you charge but what would one charge at beginning for a music video Thanks

On 3/18/2016 at 8:40 AM, ricardo_sousa11 said:

Thiss ! 

just awsome

Thanks guys for all the help and info

56 minutes ago, enny said:

Thanks for that info man if i can ask this you don't have to tell me what you charge but what would one charge at beginning for a music video Thanks

It depends on where you're located, and the whole idea, and the complexity of it all...I currently charge 1,500€ for a music video similar to what I posted earlier, its a low price, specially considering I could be doing much more in other countries, but in Madeira, thats about it, with a few exceptions.