Canon EF Servo Power Adapter Announced

Zach Ashcraft

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
27 minutes ago, JurijTurnsek said:

If STM lenses are focus-by-wire, why not just integrate power zoom like Sony and others do it? And why use a power zoom adapter on an USM lens? Aren't STM lenses preferred for their video AF?

Additional cost, size, and weight for folks who don't need the feature would be the most logical answer I think. 

They already have a 18-135 STM lens which is supposed to be good for video. Now they just added an USM version of the lens and made it power-zoom compatible. So even if they created a lens with integrated PZ (with the STM lens), there would still be a photography oriented USM version and customers could chose which one they preferred.

Now, by my logic, it would make much more sense for them to have made the STM version PZ compatible, but I guess this power-zoom adapter is a recent idea of their  product management team.

• Administrators

Yeah the specs are once again very disappointing for video.

But we'll see how it does off paper when it comes out.

The power zoom on the new 18-135mm is interesting, if a little bulky and likely expensive for something which Sony and Panasonic lenses have had built in for quite a while now at no extra cost.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Quoting from a buddy:

"The new Canon 18-135mm Nano-USM IS is an upgrade to the current 18-135mm STM IS (which will still be available for sale) 

-The new version is slightly a higher grade lens mainly in construction and ergonomics, and also an improvement in optical performance. 

-The size of the lens has been markedly reduced.

-The lens has consistent focus during zooming (Par-focal in operation)

-Auto-focus speed has been accelerated with a new faster focusing motor (Newly developed ''Nano USM'' motor) that still maintains the semi-silent operation of the STM version.

-A new feature is an 8-pin connector on the bottom of the lens, which is compatible with a newly announced Canon Servo Zoom adapter.  When it's connected***, a zoom rocker on the left side of the lens where the operator's hand naturally rests will drive the zoom mechanism in a smooth manner, responding smoothly to the tactile press speed, similar to broadcast servo zoom lenses. The adapter has a physical switch to choose FAST and SLOW speed options and a LOCK lever to prevent accidental operation.

***The adapter will not work with Canon EF/EF-S lenses not equipped with the 8-pin SZ connection. 

Me: Who is it for any why this?

"The new 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM is aimed at video shooters looking for a versatile general-purpose zoom lens with high image quality, smooth Auto-Focus "with DPAF equipped cameras" and Servo Zoom functionality." 

"It's also aimed at Canon's C100, C100II, C300, C300II users as a substitute for higher cost ENG/Broadcast Servo Zoom lenses., and also at DSLR video users shooting on Canon APS-C EOS cameras"

*The lens and adapter will be announced very soon as well as a new Canon EOS DSLR body."

------------------------------------------------------

Now me: It's good.

Just not exciting for us film-type heads, more for wedding/broadcast/documentary users.

The 18-135mm STM is the most favored general purpose lens on Canon Cx00 bodies, so this just improves upon it an adds a SZ option for those who need it (ENG/BROADC./WEDDINGS/DOCS). No biggie. Not exciting. Just ehm, good... 

As for the new DSLR, I have nothing, but I am sure it will be an APS-C body (given the EF-S kit lens it's launched with) not a 5DIV and so it most likely won't have 4K video. Just a normal incremental Canon upgrade that doesn't catch any headlines. Given the recent 750/760D and 7DII, it will likely be an upgrade to the 100D/SL1 or 70D. 

We have to give 5999$ chunk of cash for a 1DX II or 1DC to get sharp/detailed video with Canon colour science and aesthetic.