d5300 vs d5500 flat profiles

Dustin

I purchased a d5300 body from Adorama yesterday for 400. Its not arrived yet. I am planning on getting a better camera for myself in the next few months as this one will mainly be used for work. But in the meantime it will be my only camera once I sell my d5200. As I've been renting a d5300 with my d5200 in the shop, I've liked it ok thus far. But is the flaat 11 profile comparable to the d5500's flat profile? Can someone please answer this? Should I have spent a little more and gotten the refurb d5500 kit at 569 and sold the lens? Or is the flaat 11 profile on the d5300 comparable. I'm only asking because I've not had a chance to shoot flat on a Nikon d5500 and was initially just trying to save some cash. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think you need to stop splitting hairs between these Nikons. They all have a very, very similar image and as nice as it is it's not one you choose because of incremental improvements - there are too many cameras out there with more impressive DR, resolution, etc. It is colour, a S35 sensor and a clean image that are the selling points of the camera, and this is the same for all of them. Enjoy!

I think you need to stop splitting hairs between these Nikons. They all have a very, very similar image and as nice as it is it's not one you choose because of incremental improvements - there are too many cameras out there with more impressive DR, resolution, etc. It is colour, a S35 sensor and a clean image that are the selling points of the camera, and this is the same for all of them. Enjoy!

Thanks! I may be loosing my mind over stupid stuff.

I have seen some beautiful work from the 5500. Gorgeous 1080p. I was set to pick one up, but then the G7 went on sale, and I went for that. But I am still waiting for the D5500 to break 500 and I may pick one up. Well, for completely different reasons I may either go for the D5500 or a BMPCC. 

Enough about me, in my opinion, if you're looking to upgrade, I'd go for the D750. Mattias Burling has some beautiful examples of its full frame glory. 

I have seen some beautiful work from the 5500. Gorgeous 1080p. I was set to pick one up, but then the G7 went on sale, and I went for that. But I am still waiting for the D5500 to break 500 and I may pick one up. Well, for completely different reasons I may either go for the D5500 or a BMPCC. 

Enough about me, in my opinion, if you're looking to upgrade, I'd go for the D750. Mattias Burling has some beautiful examples of its full frame glory. 

Well I'm already technically "upgrading" from the d5200. At least this camera doesn't have the banding that was so evident. It served me quite well. For now I'm gonna use this camera and when I have enough saved maybe I'll pick up a better camera (better suited for video) for myself. Maybe a g7/gh4/bmpcc who knows. But for now, I'm gonna rock with the d5300

If you don't need full frame (I'm happier with super 35 for video, but I seem to like a more tele look often and I have good wides when needed), the D7200 may be worth a look. Same era-sensor, far as I know, should be a nice jump from the 7100 - just didn't get much attention since it wasn't the D7100 we all wanted (The NX1 was in many ways). 

But considering how often I shoot corporate as a one man band or just a sound guy, 4K has been a giant leap for me and the NX sensor is amazing for the money.

If you don't need full frame (I'm happier with super 35 for video, but I seem to like a more tele look often and I have good wides when needed), the D7200 may be worth a look. Same era-sensor, far as I know, should be a nice jump from the 7100 - just didn't get much attention since it wasn't the D7100 we all wanted (The NX1 was in many ways). 

But considering how often I shoot corporate as a one man band or just a sound guy, 4K has been a giant leap for me and the NX sensor is amazing for the money.

Actually I went with a d5300 body. However I'm going to save up and use eventually purchase another camera just for personal work (i.e. work not at my main photo job). Hopefully it will be a camera that is better suited to a video workflow such as a gh4/bmpcc etc. But until then, I'm satisfied with d5300 image for what it is.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Just to give you ''correct'' information:

Yes Nikon Flat on the D5500 is a lot nicer than the D5300 with Flat11. More dynamic range, more natural curve, nicer colour saturation. Fact.

Is it a difference to be concerned with as a D5300 shooter? no. It's the same sensor, the same resolution, colour science, rolling shutter, essentially the same image, just a profile/curve tweak, and all-in-all your audience will never notice the difference between images made by either.

Don't worry about it. The D5300 is a stunner, one of the best video images money can buy, and to make an obvious upgrade you should make a later upgrade to a FF or a 4K camera to see a difference in the image rather than a D5500.

I still stand that Flaat11 is not a good profile. The in-camera Standard with -2 contrast -2 saturation 0 sharp. -2 hue is best for getting that characteristic Nikon-look. Flaat11 in my extensive tests, simply didn't give more DR, just introduced some more artefacts under certain conditions and slight increase in colour/shadow noise. It just gives an illusion of a nicer curve but it isn't.

Tweak your in-camera profiles designed by Nikon to give a natural balanced image, lots of room to get your desired look. And the codec is clean and very gradeable even if you go Neutral -4 contrast -4 saturation you can correct it in-post heavily with no codec break-up. So do go ahead and create looks in-post production, much more important than in-camera profile tweaks. Just find one and stick to it.