ISCORAMA ON EBAY - POSSIBLE SCAM

jeffpb7

I wanted to buy this Iscorama 42 on Ebay for $2000, MINT. The buyer wanted me to email him my name, address and ebay user name, so I did. He said he was going to give my info to Ebay, and said I would have to pay through wire transfer, but it was protected by ebay buyers protection. I then received an invoice in my personal email, allegedly from Ebay with the address aw-confirmation@ebuy-protection-ebay.co.uk, but didn't receive a message in my Ebay account. I called Ebay and they said that they don't provide buyers protection for wire transfers, and any message sent to my personal email from them, would also be send to my Ebay messages. So, I didn't buy it(or get scammed). Now the lens has been re-posted on ebay, and has my zip code where the estimated delivery time is? It also says the lens is located in the states, but the seller wanted me to send the money to London. Also, his email has changed... it was lazerfree75@gmail.com, now it's serto1629@gmail.com. Maybe he's legit and I'm just being paranoid, but nothing adds up, so be careful. Jeff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iscorama-Anamorphic-Lens-Pentax-M-42-mount-/261156541136?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3cce2492d0

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've seen those lenses on ebay previously... within the past few months.

A google search for the auction text turns up this auction from Oct '12

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iscorama-Anamorphic-Lens-Pentax-M42-mount-near-mint-condition-PLUS-EXTRAS-/150914712174?nma=true&si=nMUXSZpxgvrFZEtjVXF5IY0pTOc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

You might contact that seller and see if this new seller was indeed his buyer in October.

Also, that's an original model Iscorama with an M42-mount taking lens - not an Iscorama 42.  The rear element on that lens will be about 10mm smaller in diameter than an Iscorama 42.

Sui,

It looks like the seller has a different ebay user name from the link you posted, but the item description is exactly the same. Also, the Ebay wire transfer email I was sent had to be fake, because it wasn't posted in my ebay messages. Ebay says they don't protect wire transfers either, yet the confirmation email I got was supposedly from ebay buyer protection. 

Also, thanks for clearing up the difference between the Iscorama 42 and the original with M42 mount. I thought it was the 42 because of the M42 mount. 

It's a scam.  Just tried to buy the pair from him.  He ain't interested in talking about legit buy it now options on ebay.  asked for my full address, ebay username and contact number.  and kept talking about needing the details so he could set up the sale with ebay....

@richg101   Did he send you a fake Ebay wire transfer invoice?

nope.  but he asked for my full address, username and telephone number in order to set it up.  I questioned him then 2 mins later the item was removed and relisted under a different ebay name.  now it's listed under another ebay seller.  exact same listing.  

most sellers of iscorama 42 need investigating before money changes hands as you know small 36 style crop up and 54 not many 42.

42 was a chopped down version of the sealed unit lens like 2001 and 2004 with fixed 50mm lens inside.

the 42 did not sell well.

i love doing deals off ebay as i hate ebay and paypal.

i have also seen fotos from ebay adds on craiglist and gumtree.

real sellers with real product will be flexible.

a good way is saying what city are you in then say i have a friend who lives about 20 miles away can he collect and pay cash just a test.

i did that and did not get a reply.

these scum love money fraud but also love having ebay user information

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I saw this one. Obvious scam I'm afraid.

Looks like a compromised account. There's now tons of super desirable high-value items  all with the $2000 buy now email listed! All the pictures are clearly from other auctions. Some of the things are worth an enormous amount more.

Every feedback as seller is for a low value sports t-shirt. Now suddenly they're full of swarovski, high-end audio and expensive lenses.But only if you email them $2000. Oh dear.

total scam... it goes up every other week. I reported it to ebay, but they don't seem to understand that this person is somehow using other peoples accounts to post his Iscorama(if he even has it). I was stupid enough to send him my address so he could send me a fake wire transfer page allegedly from Ebay. When I called Ebay they said they didn't accept wire transfers. So I sent what he sent to me to spoof @ ebay and they said it was a scam. He still has my zip code 95618 on the delivery location on the add.