50P vs 60P

apoon204

Question 1:
I live in PAL region. I recently acquired a camera that can shoot 1080 at both 50p and 60p. I wonder if that 10 frames really make significant or obvious differences in terms of video smoothness (especially for fast action, for example, panning)?

Question 2:
The reason I asked is because I realized nowadays most of the PC monitor, or iMac for example, running at 60Hz refresh rate by default. I tried to watch both 50p and 60p clip from them. I found the 60p looks silky smooth, while 50p looks a bit, I don’t know what to describe (maybe jerky?), not as smooth as 60p. I wonder if that difference is caused either by the monitor refresh rate, OR that 10 frames?

Question 3:
I have tons of other footage at 25p/50i from other old cameras. Should I compromise for that 10 frames and shoot all the way at 50p from now on?

Question 4:
Further to Question 3, if I am going to mix and edit all the footages together in future, will 60P conversion to 50P/50i/25P become nightmares? If yes, I should sacrifices that 10 frame and shoot my master raw as 50P.

Many thanks for your comments!
Arno

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Question 1:
I live in PAL region. I recently acquired a camera that can shoot 1080 at both 50p and 60p. I wonder if that 10 frames really make significant or obvious differences in terms of video smoothness (especially for fast action, for example, panning)?

Question 2:
The reason I asked is because I realized nowadays most of the PC monitor, or iMac for example, running at 60Hz refresh rate by default. I tried to watch both 50p and 60p clip from them. I found the 60p looks silky smooth, while 50p looks a bit, I don’t know what to describe (maybe jerky?), not as smooth as 60p. I wonder if that difference is caused either by the monitor refresh rate, OR that 10 frames?

Question 3:
I have tons of other footage at 25p/50i from other old cameras. Should I compromise for that 10 frames and shoot all the way at 50p from now on?

Question 4:
Further to Question 3, if I am going to mix and edit all the footages together in future, will 60P conversion to 50P/50i/25P become nightmares? If yes, I should sacrifices that 10 frame and shoot my master raw as 50P.

Many thanks for your comments!
Arno

answer to question 4, yes it will be really hard and annoying to get it looking good. The motionblur will not be correct and there can be some wierd artefating.